The Repentance Process (the steps of repentance)
- Recognize the wrong.
- Covenant with God no to repeat the wrong. (Doctrine and Covenants 58:43)
- Re-commit to live the Gospel completely.
- Make restitution to God, to leaders, and to those harmed or offended. (Mosiah 26:29)
- Feel true remorse and regret. The depth of repentance must equal the seriousness of the sin.
- The passage of time is critical. Devotion over time proves sincerity to ourselves, to the Lord, and to others. Time permits us to study, pray, and re-dedicate our lives. (Doctrine and Covenants 64:10)
- Completely forgive ourselves and anyone who has offended us.
- Receive the Lord’s forgiveness. (Doctrine and Covenants 58:42 and 59:23)
Another view of the repentance process (SACRO):
- S orrow (godly sorrow)
- A bandon (complete abandonment of the sin)
- C onfess (full and total)
- R estitution (in love and humility)
- O bey (obey ALL of God’s laws moving forward)
Another approach to the repentance process (the Five R’s)
- Recognition (realization)
- Remorse (sorrow)
- Reveal (confess)
- Reform (change)
- Restitution (make amends)