The Repentance Process (the steps of repentance)
- Recognize the wrong.
- Covenant with God no to repeat the wrong. (Doctrine and Covenants 58:43)
- Re-commit to live the Gospel completely.
- Make restitution to God, to leaders, and to those harmed or offended. (Mosiah 26:29)
- Feel true remorse and regret. The depth of repentance must equal the seriousness of the sin.
- The passage of time is critical. Devotion over time proves sincerity to ourselves, to the Lord, and to others. Time permits us to study, pray, and re-dedicate our lives. (Doctrine and Covenants 64:10)
- Completely forgive ourselves and anyone who has offended us.
- Receive the Lord’s forgiveness. (Doctrine and Covenants 58:42 and 59:23)
Another view of the repentance process (SACRO):
- S orrow (godly sorrow)
- A bandon (complete abandonment of the sin)
- C onfess (full and total)
- R estitution (in love and humility)
- O bey (obey ALL of God’s laws moving forward)
Another approach to the repentance process (the Five R’s)
- Recognition (realization)
- Remorse (sorrow)
- Reveal (confess)
- Reform (change)
- Restitution (make amends)
Click here to return to the Pearls, Gems, Diamonds index
Click here to return to the ‘Personal’ section index
Click here to return to the Gospel Basics section
Click here to return to the Main Menu