Scripture Commentary — Genesis 2:7
Breath and spirit – are these terms interchangeable? – does man have a spirit?
- Breath = air (literal)
- Job 12:10 — In God’s hand is the breath of all mankind.
- Mosiah 2:21 — God preserves you from day to day by lending you breath.
- Breath = spirit of life (figurative)
- Revelation 11:11 — Spirit of Life from God entered into them and they arose.
- Genesis 2:7 — The Lord breathed the breath of life into Adam and he became a living soul.
- Moses 3:7 — The Lord breathed the breath of life into Adam and he became a living soul.
- Isaiah 42:15 — Breath unto the people and the spirit to them that walk.
- Distinction between breath and spirit
- Abraham 5:7 — Man’s spirit put into him, and the breath of life administered.
- Man has a spirit
- Zechariah 12:1 — Man’s spirit has form.
- Job 32:8 — There is a spirit in man.
- 1 Corinthians 2:11 — There is a spirit in man.
- Luke 23:46 — “into thy hands I commend my spirit…”
- Acts 7:59 — Stephen said, “Receive my spirit”.
- Alma 40:11-13 — Spirits depart from mortal body.
- Doctrine and Covenants 88:15 — Body and spirit are the soul of man.
Click here to return to the Commentaries index page