Elder and Sister Yoon Hwan Choi of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, October 1, 2019
Elder and Sister Yoon Hwan Choi of the Seventy, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Elder Choi has been serving in the Seventy since 2009, and he was born in 1957.
- Elder Choi began his remarks by saying, “I have only 2 rules for tonight’s devotional — 1) If you don’t like it, LIKE IT! This applies to missionary rules and also to your companion. 2) If you don’t understand the broken English of myself and my wife, that is your problem, NOT OURS!” The last statement was made in jest.
- Remember who you were before you were born. In the pre-mortal sphere, you were on the front lines in the war of the ‘two-thirds’ against the ‘one-third’. You are among the most courageous and brave of all of God’s children.
- Abraham 3:22-23 speaks of the ‘noble and great’ ones. You are one of the noble and great ones! You were good and faithful and you were chosen before you were born.
- She showed a clip from ‘The Lion King’ and then explained that some rulers or leaders search only for what they can take, but a real king searches for what he can give.
- You must remember who you are – sons and daughters of God! Heavenly Father is in you, and He is the true king.
- Help others come unto Christ by truly helping them.
- Learn the language of the Holy Ghost.
- John 17:21-22 Jesus prays that “…they all may be one, as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou has sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them, that they may be one, even as we are one…”
- Understand how the Atonement of the Lord works in you to become one with the Savior. Without the Holy Ghost, we cannot become one with Jesus. The Atonement can be defined as ‘becoming One in Him’.
- You should also become one with your companion. The triangle of oneness has you and your companion at two points of the triangle, and Jesus at the apex. As you and your companion become closer to Christ, you become closer to each other.
- Within 7 months of my father’s baptism, he had converted 23 members of our family. Many years later, there are now 130 members of the Church in our family. My 14-year old brother joined the Church first, then introduced me to the Church. I was 16 years old at the time. Our parents joined the Church shortly after myself and my brother joined.
- Commit yourself to whatever you are asked to do as a missionary.
- Chapter 9 of Preach My Gospel talks about finding those whom you can teach. After your mission, you will then ‘find’ your eternal companion. Chapter 13 of Preach My Gospel tells you how to plan. After your mission, Preach My Gospel becomes the perfect marriage guide, helping you plan your future and your marriage.
- You chose to become a missionary, so you should be happy.
- If someone tells you “No, I am not interested”, then simply seek a new opportunity.
- He showed a video about the missionary in Korea who lost his memory and then slowly regained his memory. We have lost our memory of the pre-mortal existence, but we will find our way back!