Bishop and Sister W. Christopher Waddell of the Presiding Bishopric
Tuesday devotional, August 29, 2017
1/ Sister Waddell
- They have a son on a mission in Italy.
- She referred to a talk by Elder Nelson entitled, “Ask the missionaries, They can help!”
- Spiritual power is evidence of the divinity of your calling.
- The Three Great Gifts of Heavenly Father to all missionaries: 1) The Holy Ghost 2) The love of God 3) Your testimony.
- The Holy Ghost will carry your message to the hearts of the people.
- God pours out His love to his missionaries every day.
- If you love me, feed my sheep. Service is a reflection of our love for Heavenly Father.
2/ Elder Waddell
- The Twelve have some concerns for our missionaries.
- If you start right, you will end right (Elder Bednar).
- D&C 52:14 The Lord provides a pattern in all things.
- The first pattern is HAVING A PURPOSE. Think of Lehi’s journey, Moses’ journey, and Jared’s journey. Everyone one of them had a guide (liahona, pillar by day and night, 16 stones).
- D&C 29:7 We are called to gather His elect.
- D&C 109:23 You are armed with power verse 29 – gather the righteous.
- Another pattern is to GATHER. D&C 101:64-65 The garners are temples.
- The order of appearance in D&C 110 is significant. Jesus first, then Moses (Gather), then Elijah (Temple).
- Begin with the end in mind! The end is the temple!
- The Book of Mormon is the tool you will use. It is the same as the Liahona, the stones, and the Tabernacle.
- If you don’t use the Book of Mormon, you will not be completing your purpose.
- 2 Nephi 29:2 The elect hear God’s voice THROUGH THE Book of Mormon.
- September of 1823 is the Second Vision. There is a book deposited. Of all the things that Moroni could have taught or explained to Joseph, his message was about the Book of Mormon!
- No one is truly converted without a testimony of the Book of Mormon.
- Elder Christofferson said that the sickle mentioned in D&C 4 is the Book of Mormon!
- The GA’s are concerned that the Book of Mormon is not being effectively used in the conversion of new members
- Treat the Book of Mormon with respect. Do not call it a BOMB!
- Conversion is ongoing, not an event
- Could Joseph have written this? NO!
- Don’t worry about the things we don’t know. Concentrate on what we do know!
3/ Interesting statistics:
- Only 25% of all adult church members worldwide have the names of their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents on Family Search.
- Only 2% of recent converts have the names of their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents on Family Search.
- Because of the above statistics, there are over 100 million four-generational ancestors that are not on Family Search, and this means there are a half-billion temple ordinances waiting to be done.
- Those born in the 1950’s — 81% believe in God, 74% believe that Jesus is the Son of God, 72% believe that Jesus was resurrected.
- Those born in the 1980’s (Millenials) — 64% believe in God, 58% believe Jesus is the Son of God, 55% believe that Jesus was resurrected.