Elder and Sister Robert C. Gay of the Presidency of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, September 11, 2018
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister Robert C. Gay, September 11, 2018
1/ Sister Gay:
- Of their children-in-law, 4 are converts to the church (a Jew, a Southern Baptist, an Irish Catholic, and a Greek Orthodox). They were all converted by the Book of Mormon.
- Elder Anderson said in recent missionary meeting: “Missionary work is a CHOICE in having faith in Jesus. Faith has to be exercised every day. Faith has a short shelf life.”
- Find out what you really know is true and focus on these beliefs.
- You are the purveyor of truth.
- You are stronger than you think you are.
- You can always speak of the Lord.
- Write down your rock-solid beliefs.
- Choose 5 scriptures from the Book of Mormon and 5 from the New Testament and memorize them. Live by them.
2/ Elder Gay:
- I just tore up my prepared talk. I want to just talk to you heart-to-heart.
- Our children-in-law were struggling mightily with their faith when we received the mission call to preside over a mission. The timing seemed wrong. We were promised that the Lord would care for them if we served. There were 5 temple marriages among our children while we served. We missed all 5 of them, but we still rejoiced.
- You can live by covenant or convenience. Take your choice — the spirit or the world.
- If you all magnify your blessings, the Lord will bless your families.
- Thomas B. Marsh in Doctrine and Covenants section 31 was told to lift up his heart and rejoice. Your family will be blessed.
- When I began my mission president service, I had no idea what to say to the missionaries. I had a dream and I was told to say ‘Forsake the world’. It is more than just ‘going’ on a mission. Move and speak and act and do what the Lord dictates, not what you dictate. Doctrine and Covenants section 19 tells us to repent of doing things our way and to do things the Lord’s way. The Lord was hesitant to submit, but He drank the bitter cup and finished His work. Anyone can quit, few can finish. Of the tenets thou shalt not speak – speak of faith, repentance, the Holy Ghost.
- Exact obedience is aligning your souls with God’s soul. If you don’t find success in your area, the problem is not the area!
- Doctrine and Covenants 112:19 tells Thomas B. Marsh to go forth and the Lord will be with him, and that an effectual door will be opened for him.
- Serve as Christ served, always looking outward. Your success will be a reflection of your commitment, and commitment equals full consecration.
- How do we increase baptisms? By increasing our faith. Talk to more people. Every missionary should talk to at least 10 people every day. Keep the commitment to baptize front and center in your mind.
- Not long ago I was prompted to go to a Walmart barber shop, and I did so against my own will. A less active Mormon woman cut his hair. He sealed her and her husband one year later in the Salt Lake Temple.
- Forsake the world, do the work His way, open your mouths, receive revelation.