Elder & Sister Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, May 2, 2017
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, May 2, 2017. All of the missionaries had been given the assignment to read Elder Rasband’s talk from the April general conference held just one month earlier, in preparation for the devotional on this given evening.
- I didn’t marry an apostle; I married a returned missionary who loved the Lord and whom I could trust. I saw in him someone who would never desert the Lord.
- He was called by President Monson, and I was not there when he was called. I got to be there when he was set apart by President Monson on the Thursday following general conference. We know what we will be doing for the rest of our lives.
- If the Lord sees greatness in you, how should you view yourselves? Only the Lord knows who you can become. You are in the hands of the living God. The Apostle Paul said, “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
- In the D&C it says, “You shall be a witness of me. Fear not”.
- I feel prompted to bear witness of President Monson. He would say two things to you if he were here tonight: 1) I love you, and he would mean it from the very depths of his heart. He has the spiritual gift of charity, of Christ-like love. 2) Thank you. Thank you for your voluntary decision to be here, doing what you are doing.
- I get to assign missionaries to their fields of labor. I testify that each of you has been called to serve in the field of labor that the Lord desires you to serve in.
- He asked three questions:
- Question One: What did I learn from reading Elder Rasband’s talk that will bless me as a missionary? The answers were to heed promptings, to follow first promptings, that the Holy Ghost will guide me, to follow the spirit, and to practice obedience
- Question Two: What would I ask Elder Rasband about his talk that would help me as a missionary? Answers were: what would you do rather than put your foot in the door, how do I best receive promptings and then act, are all good feelings from God, how can I learn the language of the spirit? His answers were: you already know what is true, read your scriptures, live your temple covenants, partake of the sacrament worthily, pray sincerely. You know the truth!
- Question Three: What will I do differently now that I have read Elder Rasband’s talk? Answers were: I will respond to the spirit, I will pray each morning that I will have the courage to respond to the promptings I receive, and I will be more willing to listen to the spirit