Elder and Sister Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, October 15, 2019
- The Lord will truly “Lead You On”. Thank you for that wonderful music.
- I love to be here, I love my Savior, I love Preach My Gospel.
- In Esther chapter 4, Mordecai says to Esther that perhaps she was born “for such a time as this”. That could be said of you, missionaries.
- I love talking of the doctrine of Christ and I love your missionary purpose. Your main effort is helping others come unto Christ.
- We talk of enduring to the end. We were with President Nelson this morning as he spoke to a new group of temple presidents, and he said he likes to think of “enduring to the end-OWMENT”, for truly, the temple is the END we all seek!
- Alma 36:24-25 states: “…I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. Yea, and now behold, O my son, the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors.” Alma’s PURPOSE as a missionary was to help others be born of God.
- Strive for Christ-like attributes — they will protect you from temptations.
- This is the REAL THING! This is not a dress rehearsal. Be your first convert!
- Doctrine and Covenants 75:1-5 has great counsel for missionaries, including hearken to me, prune my vineyard, do not tarry, do not be idle, labor with all your might, declare my word as with the voice of a trump, if ye labor diligently ye shall be laden with sheaves, and ye will be crowned with glory.
- I have not set text or theme tonight, but I want to talk about three “bullet points”.
- The first concern is that you feel the urgency of this mighty work. I was a companion to Elder Holland. I assigned 200 missionaries to their mission assignments this very morning. The Lord inspires us in this work. The spirit stops us if we mis-assign a missionary. The Lord knows where He wants you to serve.
- Two Tongan parents had dreams about their son’s mission call. The mother dreamed he would serve near the nation’s capitol. The father dreamed that his mission president would have a Japanese name. Both dreams came true.
- Elder Bangerter in 1961 told his missionaries that although there were no LDS buildings in Brazil at that time, the time would come when LDS buildings would dot the land, and that there would be temples in Brazil, even in Manaus.
- The second concern tonight is I want to show you some LDS artifacts and have you feel the spirit of these wonderful objects. He showed a copy of the original Book of Mormon, an actual page of Oliver Cowdery’s transcript that he wrote as Joseph translated, and a page of the printer’s transcript that Egbert Grandin used as he published the book.
- It only took Joseph 60 working days to translate the Book of Mormon, and he never asked the scribes to read back to him where he has ended between sessions.
- The word ‘atonement’ is only mentioned one time in our New Testament. It is mentioned dozens of times in the Book of Mormon. One verse in Alma 34 has the word ‘atonement’ in it 3 times!
- When President Nelson recently met with presidents of countries in South America, he presented them with a copy of the Book of Mormon. He told them that this book was precious to us, and that he would recommend that commence your reading of the book in 3 Nephi chapter 11.
- The Book of Mormon is indeed precious. Testify of it
- My third desire tonight is to tell you of President Nelson’ divine calling and that he is indeed inspired. He receives revelation from the Lord.
- As I close, I want to bear my witness. I want you all to know that the majority of the revelation that the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve receive comes through the gift and power of the Holy Ghost. WE LOVE HIM and are so grateful for His influence in directing the Church. BUT I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THE LORD HIMSELF DIRECTS THIS CHURCH AND HIS WORK ALSO! I AM A SURE WITNESS OF THIS FACT!