Elder M. Russell Ballard, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, July 17, 2018
Tuesday devotional, Elder M. Russell Ballard, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Tuesday, July 17, 2018
- I am going to talk about Joseph Smith and his wonderful companion, Hyrum Smith.
- No greater companionship ever existed. They were martyred together on June 27, 1844.
- I had the privilege of being in Carthage on June 17, 1994 for the 150 year anniversary of the martyrdom.
- I am a descendant of Hyrum Smith. We should stand in awe at what these 2 brothers did for us and the cause of Christ.
- We praise Joseph. He did not complain about the load he was asked to bear. He did not bicker or even demean those who sought evil against him.
- In Hyrum Smith’s patriarchal blessing, he was told, “You will have power to escape your foes or to lay down your life for the cause.” He chose the latter.
- Joseph and Hyrum were never apart for more than 6 months during their lives. Joseph and Hyrum depended heavily on each other. They had the meek spirit of Christ.
- They both had integrity of heart, and loved that which was right.
- They were abused, confined in dungeons due to their faith. They gave thanks to God for the determination to die rather than deny.
- Hyrum had to die as well as Joseph due to the fact that he jointly held the keys.
- Hyrum said to Joseph, “I can’t leave you, I won’t leave you. Let us go back and give ourselves up.” Joseph said that they would be butchered if they returned to Nauvoo.
- Mother Smith, upon hearing of their deaths, asked the Lord why He had forsaken their family.
- Joseph F. Smith saw his father, Hyrum Smith, in vision as described in Section 138.
- John Taylor said of Joseph Smith, “I know that he yet lives because I have seen him.”
- This companionship sets the standard for all missionary companionships.
- Be fearless, feel the glory of the message, follow their example, protect and love and support your companion as they did.
- If you face a challenging day in the mission field, go back in your minds eye to Richmond Jail, Liberty Jail, Carthage Jail, and your challenging day will quickly fall into perspective.
- There are those who will belittle and berate Joseph. Have a witness in your soul. Be bold and have the courage to speak.
- I know Jesus tutored Joseph Smith. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God..
Click here to return to the General Authority speakers index
Click here to return to the MTC index page