Missionary Conference — Sunday, January 5, 2020
Mission Conference, Sunday, January 5, 2020. The theme of the conference was ‘Repentance’.
1/ Sister Hemingway:
- Repentance is a gift, not a punishment. Repentance begins and ends with the Savior.
- I love even numbers, so 2020 is going to be a good year. It is a new beginning, a new start.
- Repentance has to be linked to the Atonement of our Savior. The Atonement can bring our lives into alignment with the Savior’s will.
- King Benjamin’s people desired to have the atoning blood of Jesus applied to them (Mosiah 4:2-3).
- Alma the Younger, in Alma 36:18-20, pleaded with the Lord to have mercy on him.
- Sincere repentance lifts burdens. Nothing is more liberating than a focus on daily repentance (President Nelson).
- Repentance opens access to the atoning sacrifice of the Savior.
- Personal purity can make us powerful instruments in God’s hands.
- Daily repentance leads to purity; purity leads to power.
2/ Brother Hemingway
- The Lord stressed repentance as the Church was organized (see Doctrine and Covenants 6:9, 11:9, 15:6, 18:34, and 19:21)
- President Oaks spoke of true repentance and our covenants.
- Elder McCune recently spoke of teaching repentance by using inspired invitations.
- Preach My Gospel, page 64, mentions that true repentance requires recognition, remorse, confession, restitution, correction.
- In the pamphlet entitled ‘The Gospel of Jesus Christ’, pages 4-7, it mentions acknowledging the Savior, forgiving others, and that forgiveness comes through the Savior.
- Repentance without the atonement of the Lord is just change. Forgiveness comes through Him.
- Get on your knees. Aaron in Alma 22 understood repentance.
- Tonight, when you pray, specifically ask the Lord to FORGIVE you.
3/ Sister Watson
- Elder Ballard has asked us to contemplate what the Lord did for us in the Garden of Gethsemane.
- What do I need to change in my life to take advantage of the Savior’s love for me?
- Love your companion, devote your time to the Lord.
- Change your thoughts and desires that are not in tune with the Lord.
- Behold, this is my gospel, to be lifted up by men, that I might draw all men unto me.
- Give up your sins and sorrows to Him. See Doctrine and Covenants 19.
4/ President Watson
- We are amazed at your great faith, young friends.
- You are probably perfect in living the Word of Wisdom, in not profaning the Lord’s name, and others, but we all have progress to make.
- Cleanse and purify your hearts and minds.
- What is the worth of your soul?
- Don’t let the Sacrament become routine. Repent during the Sacrament.
- Our souls are of such worth that Heavenly Father gave us His perfect son to suffer for us.