Elder and Sister Larry Echo Hawk of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, April 10, 2018
Sister Echo Hawk:
- Because a teenage friend of mine had the courage to open her mouth and invite me to learn more about her “true” church, I am standing in front of you today.
- Your mission is the Lord’s gift to you – how you serve this mission is your gift to Him.
- You will work harder than you have ever worked before.
- Strict obedience will open doors of service opportunities and teaching opportunities.
- Miracles will come.
Elder Echo Hawk:
- I love Sister Echo Hawk!
- Alma 26:12 says: “Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.”
- He related his own conversion story, witnessing of the power of the Book of Mormon.
- He was drifting into inactivity not long after baptism, but an inspired Priest Quorum adviser saved his spiritual life by taking a personal interest in him. He saw great athletic potential in Larry, and helped with his diet and exercise, etc. He was eventually able to win the starting quarterback position in his high school.
- An eye injury caused him to say to the Lord, “If you will heal my eye, I promise I will read the Book of Mormon.” The eye healed and his gained a strong testimony as he read the Book of Mormon.
- The Lord doesn’t care much about football, but He cares deeply about young men and women.
- What is the most important thing you can do to fulfill your ministerial duty? Daily scripture study, because this will allow you to be the hands and voice of Jesus.
- Exact obedience leads to the influence of the Spirit being in your work.
- In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things.
- Doctrine and Covenants 107:23 states: “The twelve traveling councilors are called to be the Twelve Apostles, or special witnesses of the name of Christ in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.” You also are special witnesses.
- In Doctrine and Covenants 32:3 the Lord declares that He will magnify you, and that nothing will prevail against you.
- In Doctrine and Covenants 84:88, the Lord promises to be at your side and His spirit will be in your heart.