Elder & Sister John C. Pingree of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, December 26, 2017
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister John C. Pingree of the Seventy, December 26, 2017
- Her mission to England helped her grow in confidence, she learned to care about other more than herself, her love of the scriptures grew.
- Don’t let fear overcome you. We grow the most in difficult times, during trials.
- Hard is good! We learn the best lessons through hard times. Believe in your capacities.
- Do BIG, Do GOOD
- Be an “ALL IN” missionary. Christ was an “ALL IN” missionary.
- ‘All in’ means dedicated, consecrated, and committed.
- A missionary was concerned that his biceps were going to weaken during his mission. After a year, he said that his muscles were smaller but his heart was larger.
- A Tongan missionary left the national rugby team to serve. His father died, and he would not go home because he knew that his father would want him to continue serving.
- Leave the world behind. Jesus called Peter and Andrew and they “straightway” left their nets. What nets are we holding onto that prevents us from being ALL IN? James and John “immediately” left their nets AND THEIR FATHER.
- A missionary had to go home due to health issues, but he said “I will be back”. One year later he returned and was better than ever.
- It is never easier to repent that right now, here in the training center. Do it!
- Your week should begin and end at the Sacrament table, making sacred covenants.
- Power is different than authority.
- He asked his missionaries what they do to stay busy from 11 am to 3 pm. One very great sister said, “President, what are you talking about?” Staying busy is not a problem when you are consecrated to the Lord.”
- He had another missionary that truly talked to everyone! Every moment, every opportunity, he talked about Christ and the gospel to everyone.
- You don’t need to be perfect — you just need to be trying to be perfect. You can be perfect in trying to be perfect.
- Do go through your mission — let your mission go through you.
- When told about a transfer, an elder said, “President, this new companionship is not going to work.” He responded, “Elder, this isn’t me making these decisions. This is the Lord’s will.” He bowed his head for about 1 minute with folded arms, looked up and said, “I will do it. It is the Lord’s will, I will do it!” and he blessed his companion’s life.
- ‘ALL IN’ missionaries help other missionaries become ‘ALL IN’ missionaries.
- Jesus was ‘ALL IN’ because he always did the will of the Father — I can only do those things that the Father did, not my will but thine be done.
- You cannot be ‘ALL IN’ without Jesus.
- You cannot do this alone, but you can do this with Christ.
- The only thing that you can truly put on the altar is our will. Everything else is already a gift from God to us.