Elder and Sister John B. Dickson of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, July 3, 2018
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister John B. Dickson of the Seventy
- He returned to his mission field after 42 years. A sister approached and said, “Do you remember me?” He had baptized her. There were now over 50 active Latter-day Saints that were in the church because of her and her husband.
- President Nelson has recently said that some of the Savior’s mightiest works will come to pass in the next few years. There will be miraculous manifestations. No one will be able to survive spiritually in the years to come unless they have the capacity to receive revelation. We all need to increase our ability to receive inspiration. Do the spiritual work required. Come unto Christ and lay hold on every good work and word.
- Notice the word ‘desire’ in Section 4. It has great meaning. “Therefore if ye have desire ye are called to the work…”.
- His suggestions for spiritual awareness:
- Be exactly obedient.
- Act quickly when you receive revelation. He was prompted to go do a restoration of blessings at 10 pm at night. He thought it was foolish to go so late but he responded. He was able to restore blessings to a sweet repentant brother 30 minutes before he passed away!
- Don’t let opportunities pass you by. He passed up an opportunity to reach out to a woman on a street and it has haunted him for years.
- Serve when it is hard to serve. He had his arm amputated when he was a teenager but made up his mind that he was going to succeed, and he did!
- Have faith in the Lord and faith in yourself.
- His 11 keys to spiritual guidance:
- Center your life in Christ
- Have faith in Jesus
- Have faith in yourself and your calling
- Keep the commandments and mission rules with exactness
- Read the scriptures (especially the Book of Mormon) every day for the rest of your lives
- Pray always
- Work hard, especially when it is hard
- Repent every day
- Partake of the sacrament every Sunday
- Have a good time on earth, enjoy the journey
- Love the Lord with all your heart, might, mind and strength and love your fellow men