Elder and Sister Gerrit W. Gong of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, June 6, 2018
- You are in the Lord’s Youth Battalion. Become like He is.
- Inspiration comes when you serve with all your heart, might, mind, strength. To be a great missionary requires faith, diligence, obedience, humility.
- Elders asked sister missionaries if they could use their bikes because theirs had broken down. They reluctantly said yes and walked rather than rode. The very next day the sisters were approached by a woman who wanted to hear their message but had never been able to stop them on their bikes as they sped past her home.
- Bring all that you are, every talent, every ability, everything.
- Learn to counsel with inspiration.
- How did the church units in South Africa integrate blacks and whites? White leaders decided to go around to the black members and sing hymns at their humble shacks.
- I have a Dutch first name (Gerritt), an American middle name (Walter), and a Chinese last name. He was named after Gerritt de Jong. Gong equals river. Had a counselor named Wong. Jokes – don’t get the Wong Gong or you will have Gong Wong.
- I have shed tears of testimony since my call to the apostleship.
- I will discuss four gospel truths that we need ourselves and that we must share —
- ONE: Living prophets and apostles have called you. This is a unique truth, and power has been restored.
- Russell M. Nelson leads by example. He studies the gospel in different languages to get different insights. The core purpose of missionary work is to draw people to Christ.
- Alpha and Omega mentioned 54 times in scripture.
- He assisted Elder Holland one day in making missionary assignments. In his prayer as they began, Elder Holland asked that they would know where to send the missionaries, rather it be to a specific mission president, a specific area, for certain investigators, or to help convert a certain companion.
- TWO: Jesus has given us ordinances and covenants, and provided a covenant path. Ordinances commit us personally to Jesus. Baptism, confirmation, priesthood, endowment, sealing.
- THREE: Heavenly Father will inspire and guide us through the Holy Ghost. We will accomplish things through Him and the Holy Ghost that we can’t do by ourselves. He will help us in matters large and small.
- President Nelson has admonished us to increase purity, be exactly obedient, continually seek, actively feast on scripture every day (especially the Book of Mormon), be involved in temple activities.
- The scriptures are our Liahonas. The Book of Mormon is now available in 111 languages, and 34 more have been approved for translation.
- FOUR: the divine calling of Joseph Smith. It is a historical fact and inspired truth. In 2020 we will celebrate the 200 year anniversary of the First Vision.
- People are waiting for you and your message.