Elder and Sister Gary E. Stevenson of the Quorum of the Twelve
Tuesday devotional, September 10, 2019
1/ Sister Stevenson
- Alma 5:14 asks if we have been spiritually born of God, if we have received His image in our countenances, and if we have experienced a might change in our hearts.
- The gospel of Jesus Christ changes people, and it changes their countenances.
- Alma 26:37 states that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in, and that he numbers his people
- I witness that President Russell M. Nelson is a true prophet of God.
2/ Elder Stevenson
- Missionaries serve to bring happiness to others.
- Missionary training began in 1833 in the School of the Prophets in Kirtland, Ohio.
- It is a miracle for you to be here in the Missionary Training Center. We all owe so much to the generations of missionaries that have gone before us. Be grateful for the missionaries of the past.
- Your call and mission assignment are divinely inspired. Look at where you are today.
- If you have any questions about your call, please know that your call is divine inspired. Your assignment came from heaven, not from Salt Lake City.
- Doctrine and Covenants 31:3 tells us to lift up our hearts and rejoice, for the hour of our missions is come!
- If you keep your teaching simple, you will be blessed.
- Your ‘missionary tool kit’ contains the following tools:
- Your mission president
- The scriptures
- The missionary handbook
- Preach My Gospel
- I can’t stress enough the importance of daily scripture study. Diligently search and feast. Read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover, and then do it again, and continue this habit for the rest of your lives. See Preach My Gospel page 73.
- The Book of Mormon is the most important book on earth. Let this ‘keystone of our religion’ become the keystone of your lives.
- Study all of Chapter 6 of Preach My Gospel, paying very close attention to ‘Obedience’. Obedience brings blessings, and blessings bring happiness.
- The real title of the Missionary Handbook should be the ‘Missionary Handbook of Blessings’.
- Become deeply familiar with and devoted to Preach My Gospel. Chapters one through eight deal with preparation, and chapters 9 through 12 deal with execution of your missionary work.
- In summary, we have talked about:
- The great blessing of being called to serve as a missionary
- We are led by a prophet
- The importance of becoming an expert missionary
- The importance of scriptures, the handbook, and Preach My Gospel
- Your Heavenly Father loves you, we have a unique message, and this message is true.
Click here to return to the General Authority speakers index
Click here to return to the MTC index page