Elder and Sister Gary B. Sabin of the Seventy
Tuesday devotional, April 3, 2018
1/ Sister Sabin
- View your mission in terms of ‘eternity’.
- A man criticized Loren C. Dunn’s father because he had given his sons responsibility for a herd of cows and the man didn’t think the boys were doing well. Brother Dunn said, “I am busy raising boys, not cows”.
- Zion’s camp prepared future church leaders.
- Isaiah 57:15 counsels us to be meek and to have a contrite heart.
- Doing your best is good enough. Stretch, don’t stress.
2/ Elder Sabin (this was a GREAT talk!)
- I am married to an angel.
- Matthew 28:19 commands us thusly: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” Doctrine and Covenants 90:11 teaches us: “For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
- Moses 5:31 tells us that Moses felt that he was hated and slow of speech, but then read Moses 6:13.
- When Elder Busche joined the church, he said he would only do so with 2 agreements – he would never be asked to hold a calling and he would not be asked to speak in a church meeting! What to him seemed impossible became possible.
- Your whole life is your mission, this is your life!
- Elder Bednar – it is not enough to “go” on a mission, you must “become” a missionary. You can “go” and yet not “become”.
- Put away childish things.
- What does the Lord want you to become?
- Repent daily, repenting is more than just a cleansing, we gain strength from the Lord.
- Job 17:9 tells us “The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.”
- Alma 19:33 and 1 Samuel 2:30 remind us that the Lord will honor those who honor Him.
- If you drift through your mission, you will drift through your life.
- D&C 64:33-34 states: “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.”
- When you get to the other side, there will be people waiting to thank you.
- Your mission should be one of the greatest high-points of your life.
- Psalm 82 tells us that we are gods, children of the most high.
- A mission is not a competition, it is a decision.
- The Lord will make up for your inadequacies. One game Michael Jordan scored 68 points, one of his teammates scored 2. When asked about the game, the teammate said, “This was one of my best games ever. Michael and I combined together to score 70 points!” Take my yoke upon you, yoke up with the “right” people.
- Where there is no vision, the people perish. Frank Urbanis, a great football player, got in a fight and lost an eye. It was replaced by a glass eye, but he kept playing football. One game he was hit very hard and his glass eye popped out. He was on his hands and knees on the field looking for the eye. A referee asked what he was doing. When told that he was looking for his eye, the ref said, “Are you kidding? You play football with only one eye? That is insane – what if you got injured in the other eye and went completely blind?” Frank replied, “Well, then I could become a referee.”
- Be professors of happiness ( a professor had that on his business card ) Matthew 16:26 says,” For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”
- God’s mission statement is Moses 1:39.
- You are always in a threesome, because you have a member of the Godhead or angels with you.
- How beautiful upon the mountains are those that bear glad tidings.
- The five characteristics of great missionaries : gratitude, love, attitude, obedience, work. (Use the acronym A-G-L-O-W)
- Success is measured by how hard you work and how exactly you obey, not by the number of baptisms. Nephi the third was praised for his “unwearyingness” not by the number of converts or baptisms.
- D&C 90:24 contains the formula for a successful missionary. It states, “Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good.”
- Don’t fear, live right.
- Fear not, only believe (the message that President Kimball’s father gave him as he left on his mission)
- 2 Nephi 2:7-8 states: “Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered. Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.”
- Joshua 3:5 states, “And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you.”
- Replace “if only” by “because of”.
Click here to return to the General Authority speakers index
Click here to return to the MTC index page