Elder and Sister F. Michael Watson, Emeritus General Authority
Tuesday devotional, July 4, 2017
1/ Sister Watson
- I love our missionaries, especially our senior missionaries.
- I want to testify of the truth of the Book of Mormon. Where am I reading now? What plates am I reading from now?
- Use the Book of Mormon as you teach – you hold it in your hands.
2/ Elder Watson
- Missionary calls used to read, “You are hereby called to serve in the ______ mission.” The calls now say, “You are hereby called to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are called to labor in the _____ mission.” Can you appreciate why that change was made? You are not called to a place, you are called to SERVE.
- Read D&C 11:15-16
- Preach My Gospel came into being because President Hinckley at one point said, “There is something wrong with our missionary program. Something is missing.” His point was that it is inconceivable that returned missionaries were going inactive. President Hinckley felt that we needed to convert the missionary first, and then the converted missionary would find a way to convert investigators.
- If you can’t be a highway, then just be a trail. If you can’t be a huge sun, find joy as a star. Your size doesn’t cause you to win or to fail, The thing most important is to know who you are!
- Those who pass judgement on the Gospel without intense and prolonged study are not lovers of truth, and their opinions are worthless. Evidences and Reconciliations
- If you just have a minute, read one verse. If you have 10 minutes, read a chapter in the Book of Mormon. If you have an hour, feast upon the words of Christ.
- Read D&C 123:12
- He stressed the importance of the ward council in helping fellowship investigators and new members.