Ecclesiastical Training — Provo Missionary Training Center — December 11, 2016
Ecclesiastical Training, December 11, 2016
President Snow – Teaching in the Savior’s Way
- Get the teaching into the heart
- Ask inspired questions
- We need to prepare ourselves spiritually, be ‘like’ Christ
- Prepare to learn, interact to edify, invite to act
- Let the missionaries teach
- Silence is okay, don’t jump in with comments, let them ‘fail’ occasionally
- We are the nursery, not the floral shop!
- Where can we teach? Temple walk, in residence halls, sidewalks
President Bertasso – Preach My Gospel and doctrine
- The core of Preach My Gospel (fundamentals) are:
- Doctrine of Christ
- The Book of Mormon
- Recognize the spirit
- These three are the elements of conversion.
- We might be missing the main element of the doctrine of Christ. It is taught in 2 Nephi 31 — we need to yield our will to the Father, we need to yield our agency to Him.
- We need to study Preach My Gospel chapters 1, 3, 4, and 5 as a companionship and individually.
- The doctrine found in Preach My Gospel is found nowhere else.
- We are teaching representatives of the Savior.
- Preach My Gospel also stands for Promote Member Growth and Perfect Marriage Guidance.
- Use Preach My Gospel and scriptures in sacrament meeting talks.
President Burgess – Missionary purpose
- If we don’t teach them, who will?
- The Missionary Training Center is a sacred place, a spiritual “pavilion” (O Lord, where is thy pavilion?)
- Will we keep pace with the Lord as He hastens His work?
- We must shape ourselves to the majesty of our callings.
- The prophetic priority of our time is to help missionaries understand their purpose:
- Discuss their purpose in our first meeting
- Have Christ-like love for them
- Love leads to conversion
- Always keep this thought in mind — Who is the one I can help today?
- Expand your priesthood keys.
Importance of the first district meeting:
- Practical items – review John 8:29 (He is with me always because I do that which pleases Him)
- Personal obedience.
- Did you read the white handbook? Read it 5 minutes every day.
- Companion inventory:
- Show video
- Preach My Gospel page 150
- Open communication
- Ask for help
- Be humble
- Hold one every week
- Keep a journal of your inventories
- “I have noticed…”
Click here to return to the Ecclesiastical training index