Elder and Sister D. Todd Christoffersen of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, August 21, 2018
Sister Kathy Christofferson
- Preparation is key to success. Read 1 Nephi 13:37. It talks of how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the Lord’s servants, including you.
- Open your mouths. The Fallabellas could only buy a one way ticket from Mexico to the Mesa Temple to be sealed. Charitable saints in Arizona put money in their hands as they attended church, allowing them to buy their return tickets.
- Talk, open your mouths, be where people are, create your own love story, love the people.
- An old copy of the Book of Mormon led to two sons of a certain family being baptized years after the missionaries were in their home. You might not think your mission was a success, but you are not aware of all the seeds you plant as you serve.
Elder D. Todd Christofferson
- Doctrine and Covenants 115:4 tells us the correct name of the Church. We must use the correct name of the church. We were originally called the Church of Christ, but the Lord revealed the name a few years after the church was organized.
- President Nelson says this is a ‘course correction’. In 3 Nephi 27:7-8, Jesus explains what He expects His church to be called. In 3 Nephi 27:7-8, Christ talks of building upon His doctrine.
- “THE” in the title of the Church has great meaning. It is the one institution that is approved by Him. In Doctrine and Covenants section 1 it talks of the only true and living Church upon the face of the whole land.
- “CHURCH” implies an organized body of disciples. Romans 12:4-5 refers to an organization with a purpose.
- “OF JESUS CHRIST” implies whose organization it is. Jesus is the owner, the head, it bears testimony of Him. Elder Christoffersen bore his witness that Jesus “personally” leads this church. Our purpose is to gather Israel. Doctrine and Covenants 29:5-7 and 2 Nephi 26:23 speak of coming to Him and joining Him.
- “OF LATTER-DAY” links us to the early saints and indicates the restored church. It directs us to Christ’s 2nd coming (see these verses in the Doctrine and Covenants — 112:32, 115:5-6, 82:14, 65:5-6).
- “SAINTS” encourages us to be a saint and that this should be the aspiration of all of us. Being a saint implies being holy, consecrated to a sacred purpose, free from blemish. It also indicates covenants through priesthood ordinances and that ‘salvation can be found here’. We should follow the covenant path. Refer to 1 Peter 2:9
- The name of the Church is rich in meaning. It tells people what they need to know and it covers the 5 lessons found in Preach My Gospel.
- He concluded by saying a word about Mormon. He honors him, reveres him for his determination to remain true. Mormon is not a derogatory term, but it should not be the name given to the Church. Mormon would be disappointed to have the church called the Mormon church because he knew perfectly well whose Church it truly is and was.