Elder & Sister David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, January 9, 2018
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister David A. Bednar, Tuesday, January 9, 2018
1/ Sister Bednar:
- Read about Christ in the ‘Living Christ’. Try to memorize it. Only five apostles that signed the document are still living (Elders Nelson, Oaks, Ballard, Holland, and Eyring).
- When General Authorities would come to their home while Elder Bednar served as a stake president and regional representative, the Bednars would ask these authorities, “If you could teach our boys just one thing, what would it be?” Here are some of their responses:
- Elder Boyd K. Packer – “Come to know who you truly are”.
- Elder Robert D. Hales – “Return with honor” was the logo on his aircraft when he served in the military. Remember that you represent yourself, your family, and your church.”
- Elder Richard G. Scott – He was, at one time, visiting with some missionaries. The missionaries recognized Elder Hales across the room, but didn’t recognize Elder Scott, with whom they were visiting. They asked Elder Scott if that man across the room was Elder Hales. He said, “Yes, and you be sure to go shake his hand!” Elder Scott was very humble.
- Elder Thomas S. Monson – “Read the Book of Mormon. The Lord will strengthen you when you do.”
- Elder Russell M. Nelson – “Say your prayers without asking for things now and then – just give thanks.”
2/ Elder Bednar:
- This is a unique setting tonight, as we are in an “apostolic interregnum”. President Monson has been transferred to a new field of labor. There have been only 16 interregnums in the history of the church. Of the living apostles, only eight have participated in the selecting of a new prophet previously.
- I will speak on the succession of the presidency. How it happens is sacred, and you should give it your full attention. I pray that the Lord will constrain me from saying what I shouldn’t, and inspire me to say what I should.
- Joseph Smith History 1:19 – Joseph prayed to know which church was right so that he could JOIN IT. He was ready to commit and do things. The Lord told him all the churches were abominations, having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof. The power of godliness is made manifest in the ORDINANCES of the gospel. There was no priesthood, no valid ordinances, so the power of God could not be made manifest. The priesthood was restored, ordinances were then performed, and then the Church was organized.
- It all comes down to priesthood keys. Holding keys gives one the right and responsibility to direct the work of God.
- Men and women jointly enjoy ALL of the blessings of the priesthood. The priesthood is not a man – consider the priesthood as an umbrella, all are sheltered underneath it, but the men have simply been asked to hold the umbrella.
- There are three levels of keys – apostolic, stake, ward. Brigham Young said that keys can only be fully understood in the apostleship.
- No new keys are necessary or need to be bestowed when a change in prophets takes place. All the keys are here, safely vested in the apostles.
- Read Doctrine and Covenants 107:22-25. The three presiding high priests are specifically mentioned. Notice that there is no mention of power when the Seventies are described in verse 26. Why? The Seventies do not hold keys. We lost no power and we lost no keys when President Monson passed away.
- If a man is foreordained to serve as President, the Lord will extend his life. If not, he will pass away in the Lord’s time.
- Doctrine and Covenants 107:28 mentions that all must agree. There must be unanimous decisions.
- Elder Russell M. Nelson will be the next president, without campaigning, debating, or casting ballots. The smooth transition of leadership in this church is one of the strong evidences that this church is inspired and led by Christ.
- The more than 1000 new missionaries that were called during the interregnum and needed the signature of the Church president received their letters with the signature of Russell M. Nelson on it, on Quorum of the Twelve letterhead. The Twelve hold the keys when a First Presidency in being organized.
- As you watch the funeral services for President Monson, feel the words more than you listen to the words
- In truth, President Russell M. Nelson is already the President of the church. The meeting of the 13 living apostles in a few days will formalize his appointment. We sing a hymn, pray, partake of the sacrament, then Elder Nelson will give all the apostles, starting with the least senior, the opportunity to express their opinion regarding the following question: “Should we move forward with the reorganization of the First Presidency?” If all agree in the affirmative, Elder Oaks will present a motion that Russell M. Nelson be sustained at the new president. All in favor. Any opposed? Elder Dallin H. Oaks will be voice in the sustaining of the new prophet. Dallin H. Oaks will be the new president of the Quorum of the Twelve.
- Joseph Smith was only 29 years old when this inspired counsel regarding the transition to a new prophet was received! Twenty-nine! There is no other system like it in all the world. No human mind could have conceived of such a simple, logical, and beautiful transition. This method of transition is one of the greatest evidences of the truthfulness of the church and of Joseph’s divine calling.
- The Lord has prepared President Russell M. Nelson. Do you worry about his age? I tell you all that he could run any one of you “under the table” by noon of any given day.
- I love you. I pray that in your day you will have eyes to see, ears to hear, and that you will appreciate the majesty of the transition that will take place.
- I leave you my apostolic witness that Jesus is the Christ, that He is risen, and that the garden tomb is empty. Jesus directs the work of this church. You will be blessed and kept safe. Always remember that the main concept of the apostasy was the loss of PRIESTHOOD KEYS!