Elder & Sister David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, June 27, 2017
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister David A. Bednar, Tuesday, June 27, 2017
What a unique and wonderful opportunity this devotional was. This was the week that new mission presidents and their wives were being trained. Many of the general authorities were involved in their training. At this devotional, we had 10 out of our 15 apostles in attendance. Present at the devotional were Elders Oaks, Ballard, Holland, Bednar, Christoffersen, Cook, Andersen, Rasband, Stevenson, and Renlund. Members of the Seventy were also present, including Elders Hallstrom, Schwitzer, Nielson, and Nielsen.
- Thank you, missionaries. The Lord needs valiant servants. The Lord needs to depend on you.
- I will follow God’s plan for me.
- The Prophet Joseph was martyred on this day in 1844.
- In the strength of the Lord I can do all things.
- Joseph’s martyrdom. Joseph has done more for the salvation of mankind than any other man who has ever lived, with the only exception being Christ. He lived great, he died great.
- Joseph Smith presented unique and revolutionary doctrine — the Godhead, the plan of salvation, the Atonement, the Restoration, continuing revelation, modern scripture, priesthood keys, missionary work, temples.
- Joseph was young and uneducated, but at age 14 he saw God, at 17 he met Moroni, at 21 he received the plates, at 23 he completed the Book of Mormon translation, and he had received half of the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants before age 25.
- Joseph is criticized for mistakes, but even Shakespeare made mistakes (he mentioned a ticking clock in the age of Caesar).
- 176 million copies of the Book of Mormon have been distributed, in 100 languages.
- The Book of Mormon is a FIRST DRAFT! There have been only editorial changes and no amendments. Who could possibly do that in the writing of an intricate historical book?
- The Book of Mormon is a miracle of miracles!
- At one point David O. McKay’s father decided to do his missionary work without mentioning Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon, in order to not offend people. He was overcome with a feeling of gloom. As he prayed to have the gloom removed and to seek guidance, a voice said, “Testify of Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and the restoration.
- The Book of Mormon is the greatest revealer of Christ of all our scriptures.
- If you are ever at a loss as to what to say, testify of Joseph Smith.
- Elder Bednar, at this point in his talk, shifted gears and told us to “buckle up” as he discussed “the power of the word in us”.
- Ammon gloried in the Lord (Alma 26:11-13) and referred to “the power of the word which is in us”.
- What is the power of the word? John 1:2-5 & 14, Article of Faith 8, Alma 32:1 (the seed = the Word), Alma 32:28, Alma 32:38-41 (nourish the word )
- The tree of life in Lehi’s dream in 1 Nephi 11 can be a representation of Christ (see 11:15)
- In us… see Alma 33:22 (THE WORD!) The word to be planted? The life, mission, and Atonement of Christ (Alma 5:11-13)
- Elder Packer used to ask “Therefore, what?” In order words, what is the value of a certain decision or direction?
- The Book of Mormon was written for us, today. That should be reflected in our service.
- D&C 84:85 Treasure up, concentrate, work, apply, learn, enjoy, relish (Alma 17:2-3, Alma 31:5)
Click here to return to the General Authority speakers index
Click here to return to the MTC index page