Elder & Sister David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Tuesday devotional, October 11, 2016
Tuesday devotional, Elder and Sister David A. Bednar, Tuesday, October 11, 2016
- It is incredible to hear all the things he accomplished in his life before his call to the Twelve at age 52.
- He recounted his experiences at the Mission Home and Language Training Mission 45 years ago. I was 5 months ahead of him. He said that they heard apostles speak to them all day long. That is my recollection of my Mission Home experience in May of 1971. I think we heard most if not all of the member of the Quorum of the Twelve speak to us.
- His talk was on increasing our appreciation of General Conference. When he listens to Conference, he makes a grid with Doctrine, Invitations, and Promises across the top and the names of the 15 apostles down the left side. He then fills in the various columns with the insights and promises of the Twelve.
- He replayed President Uchtdorf’s talk in which he said that we all walked and talked with God before this life, and we heard him present His Plan to us.
- He talked about Elder Nelson quoting a great verse, Psalms 16:8 “I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.”
- He quoted Elder Cook, “Repentance and forgiveness are monumentally important.”
- He talked about Elder Dahlquist going on a hike in the mountains in Germany, where he came upon a shepherd and his sheep. The shepherd said, “If we are going to a new area, I lead and they follow. If we are going to a familiar area, they lead and I follow.” This is a beautiful analogy of how our Good Shepherd teaches us and blesses our lives.