Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, General Young Women President, & her husband, Bro. Derek Cordon
Tuesday devotional, November 26, 2019
Tuesday devotional, Sister Bonnie Cordon, November 26, 2019. As he introduced the Cordons, President LeSueur mentioned that Sister Cordon is the daughter of Elder Harold G. Hillam, a General Authority Seventy of the Church. Elder Hillam died in 2012 of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease).
- You are in a holy place. We love missionaries and the training center.
- We were recently with Elder Ronald A. Rasband. He asked the congregation who the most important prophet was in their lives. The answer is the living prophet today.
- The Book of Mormon gives the most complete explanation of the Atonement of Christ of any book, as well as the explanations of being born again, of gathering scattered Israel, and many other doctrines.
- The full purpose of the gospel is found within the Book of Mormon. It is the word of God.
- A story from Brazil — two missionary elders were at an intersection, and a women in a car spotted them. She held up a copy of the Book of Mormon and shouted, “You two must explain this book to me!” They were able to meet her and she told them that he daughter had thrown the book in the garbage. She rescued the book, read it, and quickly realized that is was a true book. She soon was taught and joined the Church.
- The Book of Mormon is the book the Lord has prepared for our day.
- President Nelson has said that the Book of Mormon equals power, strength, success. We need to study it every day. With the strength from the Book of Mormon we will be able to battle temptations and receive direction in our lives.
- The book changes lives — it brings miracles into the lives of those who live by it.
- There is power in the Book of Mormon. We are grateful for this assignment to speak to you tonight.
- I would like you all to write down three things you are grateful for. I wrote down my wife, the gospel, and my parents.
- This is a season of service. Sister Cordon said she is grateful for her testimony and for the doctrine of Christ.
- We need to invite people to come to Christ. There is no other name given whereby men can be saved.
- Mosiah 3:17 says, “…there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.”
- Doctrine and Covenants 19:31-32 says, “…and of tenets thou shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission of sins by baptism and by fire, yea, even the Holy Ghost. Behold, this is a great and the last commandment which I shall give unto you concerning this matter; for this shall suffice for thy daily walk, even unto the end of thy life.”
- Is the doctrine of Christ part of your ‘daily walk’? Is it the driving force of your life? The doctrine of Christ should define who we are very day of our lives.
- The new Young Women and Young men themes are full of the doctrine of Christ.
- Regarding faith, Ether 12:12 says, “For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them; wherefore, he showed not himself until after their faith.” The Lord knows your life. Faith in Him moves us to action, and action builds our faith.
- We can receive as much revelation as we desire. Be obedient and act.
- To exercise faith we need to open our mouths and share our beliefs.
- Regarding repentance, circle or underline repentance every time you encounter it in the scriptures.
- Alma repented and then taught repentance.
- Repentance is liberating, enabling, and crucial. Repentance brings peace of mind and happiness.
- Sister Cordon served a mission in Portugal. She said that the Lord didn’t need her to speak fluent Portuguese — He just needed my heart.
- I plead with you to repent. Christ descended below any problem you might have. Make a decision now to repent every day.
- Regarding baptism, we are to teach all nations and baptize them.
- One of the very first things the Lord taught the Nephites when He appeared to them was the importance of baptism.
- If Jesus had need to be baptized, then how much more is our need to do the same?
- 2 Nephi 31:10 says, “And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father? And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.”
- A young man joined the Church and his family disowned him. He went on a mission and they refused to write him or communicate with him. He was counseled to write a letter to his family every week. During his mission his entire family was converted by his letters and they all joined the church.
- You need no other reason to be obedient other than your love of the Lord. Imagine the impact all of you are going to have on your family.
- My father, Elder Harold Hillam of the Seventy, gave me the following counsel: “Never give up an opportunity to testify of Christ.” (Elder Hillam died of ALS)
- Regarding the Holy Ghost, study chapter 4 of Preach My Gospel. How do we all feel about the Holy Ghost?
- We will see miraculous manifestations of the Spirit in the coming years.
- Choose to do the necessary spiritual work to have the Spirit in your life every day.
- Regarding enduring to the end, we should say “enjoy” to the end.
Click here to return to the General Authority speakers index
Click here to return to the MTC index page