Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, General Young Women President, and her husband, Brother Cordon
Tuesday devotional, April 9, 2019
Tuesday devotional, Sister Bonnie Cordon, April 9, 2019. As he introduced the Cordons, President LeSueur mentioned that Sister Cordon is the daughter of Elder Harold G. Hillam, a General Authority Seventy of the Church. Elder Hillam died in 2012.
- 2 Nephi 27:23 – miracles are waiting for you.
- Letters from the Savior to you (see D&C 16). Mark this section individually, for yourself. It is a letter directly to you as a missionary.
- A missionary came to their mission in Brazil whose mother had just passed away. Three months later, church headquarters called President Cordon and told him that the elder’s father had just passed away, and that the family’s home had been pillaged. There was nothing left in the home. President Cordon had to tell this young elder this tragic news, but he responded by saying that the most important thing for him at that time was to stay on his mission. He served a marvelous, faithful mission.
- Put your own name in D&C 31. Remember that this is the Lord’s work. Be worthy and He will prepare the way for you. See D&C 123:17
- The Lord knows you.
- Sister Cordon introduced her two counselors in the Young Women General Presidency, who were both in attendance (Sister Craven and Sister Craig). She related that as she walked out of the First Presidency office after being called as Young women General President, the Spirit whispered to her that Sister Craig would be her first counselor. A few days later she met Sister Craven for the first time in a meeting, and the Spirit again whispered that Sister Craven would be her second counselor.
- She showed a video in which the 15 apostles each bear their testimony that our Redeemer lives. She then testified that Jesus lives, He weeps with us when we are sad and rejoices when we are happy.
- She asked that we write down the answer to this question: Why do we need a Savior? See Mosiah 3:17. Omnipotent means having unlimited power, able to do anything.
- 2 Nephi 31 — Doctrine of Christ, our missionary purpose.
- Faith — We hear the voice of the Father many times in 2 Nephi 31. See 2 Nephi 31:7
- A missionary from Ukraine came to their mission in Portugal. She told President Cordon that she had been sent to the wrong mission. President Cordon said, “Do you know the name of that plaza over there? Its name is Ukraine Plaza. The greatest concentration of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine is in that particular city in Brazil. The Lord called you to the right place.”
- You can show faith day to day by showing love to your companion.
- Repentance — Alma 18:1 , the doctrine of Christ applies to us individually.
- During her mission, Sister Cordon had a very difficult time with the Portuguese language. Every other door was hers. She even prayed that no one would answer the doors when it was her turn to speak. She prayed one night and told the Lord that she probably should not be serving a mission because she couldn’t master the language. The Lord responded by saying that He didn’t need someone who was fluent in the language – just someone with a willing heart. She repented and started praying that people would understand the few words that she could say. And it happened. They would understand a few words and then her companion would add to the conversation. At first, all she could say was ‘Hello’ and then she would turn to her companion for help.
- A remarkable baptism — A few years ago Sister Cordon sat with an Area Authority Seventy from Botswana. He told SIster Cordon that his family kicked him out of the home when he accepted a mission call. They wouldn’t even speak to him. When he was set apart as a missionary, the stake president told him to write home every week and tell his family about his mission and about the doctrine of Christ. After being on his mission for a few months, he received a call from his mission president, telling him that his family was trying to reach him. This good missionary was able to talk to his family and they told him that they had accepted the gospel and were preparing to be baptized.
- Sister Cordon said, “I hope your weekly phone calls are inviting your family to come unto Christ.
- Holy Ghost — read page 102 of Preach My Gospel.
- Endure to the end — Enjoy your mission to the end.
- You are enough. The Lord just needs your willing heart. He is the Creator. He can create in us what is lacking. May you always bring home the message of the Doctrine of Christ.
- Always enjoy repenting.