Guidelines for a happy and fulfilling life, from Elder George I. Cannon of the Seventy
Elder George I. Cannon served in the Quorums of the Seventy from 1986 to 1991. Elder Cannon was a grandson of both Heber J. Grant (the seventh president of the Church and Elder Abraham H. Cannon (a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles). He was also a great-grandson of Elder George Q. Cannon. Elder Cannon was well-known for his captivating smile. Elder Cannon shared the following tips on living, which he entitled, “Guidelines for a fulfilling and happy life, from one who has been there.”
- Have faith in and follow Jesus Christ.
- Love and listen to your spouse: have a second honeymoon at least once a year.
- Take time to teach and enjoy your children; they are a lot more important than a clean house and yard.
- Buy only that which you can afford; don’t envy others.
- Seek and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
- Be a ‘bebiggler’ and not a ‘belittler’.
- Be a helpful and concerned neighbor.
- Listen to good music, read good books, engage in stimulating conversation.
- Be a participant, not just a spectator.
- Don’t expect perfection of anyone until you have achieved perfection yourself.
- Make a contribution to your work or an assignment you accept. Work is a blessing and not a curse.
- Be an honest person.
- Plant pansies every spring and get your hands into the soil.
- Own a popcorn popper and an ice cream freezer, or something the entire family can enjoy together.
- ENJOY BEING ALIVE!