Christmas Initiative, sponsored by mormon.org
DAY # 1 — JESUS LIFTED OTHERS’ BURDENS —
- Ask Heavenly Father to make you more aware of the burdens of those around you.
- Volunteer to help a friend move.
- Learn more about the process of going through addiction recovery.
- Read Matthew 11:28-30 and discuss with others how Jesus can help us through life’s difficult challenges.
- Clear the snow of the sidewalks of an elderly neighbor.
- Share an experience on social media of a time when prayer helped you carry a burden.
- Help a caregiver of a disabled person by running an errand or spending time.
- Carry a backpack or other load for someone.
DAY # 2 — JESUS HONORED HIS PARENTS —
- Call your parents.
- Write a handwritten note to your parents or in-laws.
- Learn about an ancestor and share the story.
- Ask your parents for advice on parenting your own children.
- Create an audio recording of your parents’ life stories.
- Set up a weekly video chat with your parents.
- Digitize some old photos for your parents.
- Post about a positive characteristic that you inherited from your parents.
- Do chores with your family around your parents’ home.
- Tell your parents about how they were right, and be specific!
DAY # 3 — JESUS HELPED OTHERS TO SEE —
- Point out a virtue in another person that he or she might not see in themselves.
- Promote a vision charity.
- Learn about raising a guide dog.
- Take a disability awareness course.
- Be eyes for a blind person at bemyeyes.org
- Read a scriptural account of Jesus healing a blind person.
- Read a book to someone with impaired vision.
- Use social media to help people see the good in the world.
DAY # 4 — JESUS WORSHIPED HIS FATHER —
- Attend a church service in your area.
- Make a goal to offer a kneeling prayer every day this month.
- Help clean up or maintain a church.
- Discuss with someone what it means to worship God. Make a goal to improve.
- Visit a temple or other religious site.
DAY # 5 — JESUS HEALED THE SICK —
- Resolve to pray daily for your loved ones who are sick or suffering.
- Take a CPR or life-saving course.
- Volunteer at a hospital or rest home.
- Learn about how you or your loved ones could benefit from a blessing.
- Donate something to a childrens’ hospital.
- Learn how to donate your hair to people with cancer.
- Visit someone who is sick or suffering.
- Ask God for opportunities to help the sick.
DAY # 6 — JESUS READ THE SCRIPTURES —
- Set your alarm early for scripture study.
- Post your favorite scripture on social media.
- Text a scripture to someone who needs a boost.
- Memorize a favorite scripture.
- Download a scripture app to make your gospel study easier.
- Listen to scriptures during your commute.
- Find three scriptures that resonate with you. Share them with someone.
- Put a scripture app on the home screen of your smartphone.
DAY # 7 — JESUS FED THE HUNGRY —
- Donate non-perishable items to a food bank.
- Invite a neighbor on a tight budget to dinner.
- Learn about satisfying spiritual hunger (start with John 6:35).
- Eat out at restaurants that give back through donated food.
- Volunteer to deliver meals to those in need.
- Learn about how fasting and giving offerings can help feed those in need.
- Share a low-cost recipe to help people better feed their families.
- Pray to know who needs help, and HELP!
DAY # 8 — JESUS PRAYED FOR OTHERS —
- Ask God how you can be an answer to another person’s prayer.
- Pray with your family, right now!
- Offering a vocal prayer of gratitude, asking for nothing.
- Pray for a friend that’s going through rough times.
- Read and reflect upon the Lord’s prayer (Matthew 6:9-13)
- Ask God for help in facing a big challenge.
- Write down three things that you could talk with God about tonight.
DAY # 9 — JESUS VISITED THE LONELY —
- Visit a nursing home.
- Invite a widow or widower to dinner.
- Identify someone who will be alone for Christmas. Invite him or her to attend church with you on Sunday.
- Send a friendly text to someone who could use a boost.
- Send a letter or message to someone who is currently living away from home.
- Identify someone in your neighborhood that you have never met. Take a treat to them and introduce yourself.
- Sit by a new person and get to know him or her.
DAY # 10 — JESUS HELPED PEOPLE TO WALK —
- Donate your old crutches, wheelchair, or walker to a group that refurbishes them.
- Contribute to a cause that provides crutches, wheelchairs, or walkers.
- Plan an activity that is catered to a friend with a disability.
- Research easy ways to prevent future immobility.
- Offer to help an elderly person run errands.
- Shovel snow off of sidewalks in your area.
- Donate shoes to a charity for those in need.
DAY # 11 — JESUS MINISTERED TO CHILDREN —
- Ask your children what they think your family should pray about.
- Purchase a picture of Jesus for your child’s room. Teach your child about Christ’s love for them.
- Read with a child about how Jesus interacted with children (Mark 10:13-16).
- Sign up to mentor ‘at-risk’ children.
- Take each of your children on a ‘one-on-one’ activity.
- Teach your child how to pray.
- Make time for family dinner.
- When your child is talking to you, stop everything else and listen.
DAY # 12 — JESUS TAUGHT OTHERS —
- Share your favorite teaching or story of Jesus on social media.
- Teach your children something you were taught by your parents or grandparents.
- Teach a family member or friend something you have recently learned from the scriptures.
- Invite friends into your home for FHE.
- Sign up to share your professional advice at a school career day.
- Volunteer to help coach a youth sports team.
- Watch an online tutorial to learn a new skill that can benefit others.
DAY # 13 — Jesus showed humility —
- Share an experience with loved ones about a time you had to rely on God.
- Ask a parent how to deal with a current challenge in your life.
- Think of a time you were wrong about a person. Share it with a loved one.
- Do some bragging today – about someone else.
- Ask someone for some honest advice on a personal problem you are facing.
DAY # 14 — Jesus taught others to clothe the naked –
- Collect winter clothing for your local homeless shelter.
- Learn about how we should love those in need from a wise king (Mosiah 4:15-17).
- Learn some basic sewing skills, or help someone to do the same.
- Invite your children to go through their clothing and identify two complete outfits that can be donated to a thrift store.
- Knit a cap for a newborn and donate it to a hospital.
- Buy hand warmers and give them to people working or living outside in the cold.
- Donate some old clothes to a charity or thrift store.
DAY # 15 — Jesus worshiped through song —
- Invite a friend to attend a worship service on Christmas day to sing hymns and worship God.
- Share your favorite performance of a Christmas hymn on social media.
- Listen to Christmas hymns for an entire day.
- Do some Christmas caroling over video chat.
- Learn a new Christmas hymn.
- Make a Christmas playlist and share it.
- Include a musical program in your Christmas Eve festivities.
- Go Christmas caroling to the widows, widowers, and lonely in your neighborhood or church congregation.
DAY # 16 — Jesus showed compassion —
- Participate in a local sub-for-Santa for a family that could use some holiday cheer.
- Leave only encouraging comments on social media.
- Pray for an opportunity today to show compassion to someone.
- Find a GoFundMe.com account of a family or person in need and donate.
- Look a homeless person in the eye and smile.
- Volunteer to babysit the children of a single parent so he or she can finish Christmas shopping.
- Make a simple sacrifice for someone else.
DAY # 17 — Jesus cared for his mother —
- Call your mother right now.
- Make a list of all the things your mother has done for you. Send it to her.
- Identify a motherly figure in your life and take her some flowers.
- Help your mother understand a new form of technology.
- Re-create a photo from your childhood and give it to your mother.
- Set a goal to pray for and give thanks for your mother every day.
- Record your mother sharing her life story.
- Compile a list with your siblings of your mother’s favorite sayings.
- Read the account of the Savior’s last words to His mother (John 19:26-27).
DAY # 18 — JESUS HONORED THE SABBATH —
- Turn off your phone for a few hours on a Sunday.
- Attend a religious service in your area on Sunday.
- Visit a family member on Sunday.
- Memorize a favorite scripture or religious quote on Sunday.
- Discover your ancestors by doing some family history on a Sunday.
- Invite someone over for Sunday dinner.
- Spend some time updating or starting your own personal history on Sunday.
- Write down some ways you could draw closer to God on a Sunday.
- Support a business that closes on Sunday (obviously on a day other than Sunday).
DAY # 19 — JESUS CALMED THE STORM —
- Learn ways you can help people around the world through charitable donations.
- Review response plans for disasters or emergencies in your area.
- Give your family or loved ones the gift of a 72-hour kit for emergencies.
- Listen to a performance of “Master, The Tempest Is Raging”.
- Help shovel out your neighborhood after a snow storm.
- Help an elderly or disabled person winterize their home.
- Help your loved ones stock their cars with warm emergency clothes.
- Give a gift to someone who could use a pick-me-up.
DAY # 20 — JESUS SAW POTENTIAL IN OTHERS —
- Be a mentor or tutor to someone.
- Take a child to work with you and let him or her do a small part of your job.
- Donate to a scholarship at your local high school.
- Cheer someone on! Attend an event (athletic, cultural, etc.) to support someone you know.
- Help a child learn to set goals.
- Contribute your abilities to an adult education class in your area.
DAY # 21 — Jesus forgave others —
- Is there a family member you haven’t talked to recently? Call him or her.
- Make a list of grudges. Find a way to let them all go.
- Do you have a particularly difficult neighbor or co-worker? Be extra-nice to him or her this week.
- Be kind instead of right for an entire day.
- Pray for someone who has hurt you.
- Re-friend or re-follow someone with whom you have had a falling out.
- Try to see things from the point of view of someone who has upset you.
- Remember a time when someone forgave you and how it felt.
- Ask God to help you be more forgiving of others in your life.
DAY # 22 — Jesus showed gratitude —
- Give a simple gift to your mail carrier to raise spirits during his busiest season.
- Offer a prayer of gratitude. No requests. Just thanks.
- Write a thank-you letter to someone who has positively influenced your life.
- Fill your home or office with surprise thank-you notes for people to discover during the day.
- Start a notebook to record things you are grateful for each day.
- Make a vow of no complaining for one day. For each time you break the vow, pay a compliment to someone.
DAY # 23 — Jesus was a peacemaker —
- Do you owe someone an apology? Resolve to take action and offer it.