Christmas Initiative, sponsored by mormon.org
DAY # 1 — JESUS LIFTED OTHERS’ BURDENS —
- Ask Heavenly Father to make you more aware of the burdens of those around you.
- Volunteer to help a friend move.
- Learn more about the process of going through addiction recovery.
- Read Matthew 11:28-30 and discuss with others how Jesus can help us through life’s difficult challenges.
- Clear the snow of the sidewalks of an elderly neighbor.
- Share an experience on social media of a time when prayer helped you carry a burden.
- Help a caregiver of a disabled person by running an errand or spending time.
- Carry a backpack or other load for someone.
DAY # 2 — JESUS HONORED HIS PARENTS —
- Call your parents.
- Write a handwritten note to your parents or in-laws.
- Learn about an ancestor and share the story.
- Ask your parents for advice on parenting your own children.
- Create an audio recording of your parents’ life stories.
- Set up a weekly video chat with your parents.
- Digitize some old photos for your parents.
- Post about a positive characteristic that you inherited from your parents.
- Do chores with your family around your parents’ home.
- Tell your parents about how they were right, and be specific!
DAY # 3 — JESUS HELPED OTHERS TO SEE —
- Point out a virtue in another person that he or she might not see in themselves.
- Promote a vision charity.
- Learn about raising a guide dog.
- Take a disability awareness course.
- Be eyes for a blind person at bemyeyes.org
- Read a scriptural account of Jesus healing a blind person.
- Read a book to someone with impaired vision.
- Use social media to help people see the good in the world.
DAY # 4 — JESUS WORSHIPED HIS FATHER —
- Attend a church service in your area.
- Make a goal to offer a kneeling prayer every day this month.
- Help clean up or maintain a church.
- Discuss with someone what it means to worship God. Make a goal to improve.
- Visit a temple or other religious site.
DAY # 5 — JESUS HEALED THE SICK —
- Resolve to pray daily for your loved ones who are sick or suffering.
- Take a CPR or life-saving course.
- Volunteer at a hospital or rest home.
- Learn about how you or your loved ones could benefit from a blessing.
- Donate something to a childrens’ hospital.
- Learn how to donate your hair to people with cancer.
- Visit someone who is sick or suffering.
- Ask God for opportunities to help the sick.
DAY # 6 — JESUS READ THE SCRIPTURES —
- Set your alarm early for scripture study.
- Post your favorite scripture on social media.
- Text a scripture to someone who needs a boost.
- Memorize a favorite scripture.
- Download a scripture app to make your gospel study easier.
- Listen to scriptures during your commute.
- Find three scriptures that resonate with you. Share them with someone.
- Put a scripture app on the home screen of your smartphone.
DAY # 7 — JESUS FED THE HUNGRY —
- Donate non-perishable items to a food bank.
- Invite a neighbor on a tight budget to dinner.
- Learn about satisfying spiritual hunger (start with John 6:35).
- Eat out at restaurants that give back through donated food.
- Volunteer to deliver meals to those in need.
- Learn about how fasting and giving offerings can help feed those in need.
- Share a low-cost recipe to help people better feed their families.
- Pray to know who needs help, and HELP!
DAY # 8 — JESUS PRAYED FOR OTHERS —
- Ask God how you can be an answer to another person’s prayer.
- Pray with your family, right now!
- Offering a vocal prayer of gratitude, asking for nothing.
- Pray for a friend that’s going through rough times.
- Read and reflect upon the Lord’s prayer (Matthew 6:9-13)
- Ask God for help in facing a big challenge.
- Write down three things that you could talk with God about tonight.
DAY # 9 — JESUS VISITED THE LONELY —
- Visit a nursing home.
- Invite a widow or widower to dinner.
- Identify someone who will be alone for Christmas. Invite him or her to attend church with you on Sunday.
- Send a friendly text to someone who could use a boost.
- Send a letter or message to someone who is currently living away from home.
- Identify someone in your neighborhood that you have never met. Take a treat to them and introduce yourself.
- Sit by a new person and get to know him or her.
DAY # 10 — JESUS HELPED PEOPLE TO WALK —
- Donate your old crutches, wheelchair, or walker to a group that refurbishes them.
- Contribute to a cause that provides crutches, wheelchairs, or walkers.
- Plan an activity that is catered to a friend with a disability.
- Research easy ways to prevent future immobility.
- Offer to help an elderly person run errands.
- Shovel snow off of sidewalks in your area.
- Donate shoes to a charity for those in need.
DAY # 11 — JESUS MINISTERED TO CHILDREN —
- Ask your children what they think your family should pray about.
- Purchase a picture of Jesus for your child’s room. Teach your child about Christ’s love for them.
- Read with a child about how Jesus interacted with children (Mark 10:13-16).
- Sign up to mentor ‘at-risk’ children.
- Take each of your children on a ‘one-on-one’ activity.
- Teach your child how to pray.
- Make time for family dinner.
- When your child is talking to you, stop everything else and listen.
DAY # 12 — JESUS TAUGHT OTHERS —
- Share your favorite teaching or story of Jesus on social media.
- Teach your children something you were taught by your parents or grandparents.
- Teach a family member or friend something you have recently learned from the scriptures.
- Invite friends into your home for FHE.
- Sign up to share your professional advice at a school career day.
- Volunteer to help coach a youth sports team.
- Watch an online tutorial to learn a new skill that can benefit others.
DAY # 13 — Jesus showed humility —
- Share an experience with loved ones about a time you had to rely on God.
- Ask a parent how to deal with a current challenge in your life.
- Think of a time you were wrong about a person. Share it with a loved one.
- Do some bragging today – about someone else.
- Ask someone for some honest advice on a personal problem you are facing.
DAY # 14 — Jesus taught others to clothe the naked –
- Collect winter clothing for your local homeless shelter.
- Learn about how we should love those in need from a wise king (Mosiah 4:15-17).
- Learn some basic sewing skills, or help someone to do the same.
- Invite your children to go through their clothing and identify two complete outfits that can be donated to a thrift store.
- Knit a cap for a newborn and donate it to a hospital.
- Buy hand warmers and give them to people working or living outside in the cold.
- Donate some old clothes to a charity or thrift store.
DAY # 15 — Jesus worshiped through song —
- Invite a friend to attend a worship service on Christmas day to sing hymns and worship God.
- Share your favorite performance of a Christmas hymn on social media.
- Listen to Christmas hymns for an entire day.
- Do some Christmas caroling over video chat.
- Learn a new Christmas hymn.
- Make a Christmas playlist and share it.
- Include a musical program in your Christmas Eve festivities.
- Go Christmas caroling to the widows, widowers, and lonely in your neighborhood or church congregation.
DAY # 16 — Jesus showed compassion —
- Participate in a local sub-for-Santa for a family that could use some holiday cheer.
- Leave only encouraging comments on social media.
- Pray for an opportunity today to show compassion to someone.
- Find a GoFundMe.com account of a family or person in need and donate.
- Look a homeless person in the eye and smile.
- Volunteer to babysit the children of a single parent so he or she can finish Christmas shopping.
- Make a simple sacrifice for someone else.
DAY # 17 — Jesus cared for his mother —
- Call your mother right now.
- Make a list of all the things your mother has done for you. Send it to her.
- Identify a motherly figure in your life and take her some flowers.
- Help your mother understand a new form of technology.
- Re-create a photo from your childhood and give it to your mother.
- Set a goal to pray for and give thanks for your mother every day.
- Record your mother sharing her life story.
- Compile a list with your siblings of your mother’s favorite sayings.
- Read the account of the Savior’s last words to His mother (John 19:26-27).
DAY # 18 — JESUS HONORED THE SABBATH —
- Turn off your phone for a few hours on a Sunday.
- Attend a religious service in your area on Sunday.
- Visit a family member on Sunday.
- Memorize a favorite scripture or religious quote on Sunday.
- Discover your ancestors by doing some family history on a Sunday.
- Invite someone over for Sunday dinner.
- Spend some time updating or starting your own personal history on Sunday.
- Write down some ways you could draw closer to God on a Sunday.
- Support a business that closes on Sunday (obviously on a day other than Sunday).
DAY # 19 — JESUS CALMED THE STORM —
- Learn ways you can help people around the world through charitable donations.
- Review response plans for disasters or emergencies in your area.
- Give your family or loved ones the gift of a 72-hour kit for emergencies.
- Listen to a performance of “Master, The Tempest Is Raging”.
- Help shovel out your neighborhood after a snow storm.
- Help an elderly or disabled person winterize their home.
- Help your loved ones stock their cars with warm emergency clothes.
- Give a gift to someone who could use a pick-me-up.
DAY # 20 — JESUS SAW POTENTIAL IN OTHERS —
- Be a mentor or tutor to someone.
- Take a child to work with you and let him or her do a small part of your job.
- Donate to a scholarship at your local high school.
- Cheer someone on! Attend an event (athletic, cultural, etc.) to support someone you know.
- Help a child learn to set goals.
- Contribute your abilities to an adult education class in your area.
DAY # 21 — Jesus forgave others —
- Is there a family member you haven’t talked to recently? Call him or her.
- Make a list of grudges. Find a way to let them all go.
- Do you have a particularly difficult neighbor or co-worker? Be extra-nice to him or her this week.
- Be kind instead of right for an entire day.
- Pray for someone who has hurt you.
- Re-friend or re-follow someone with whom you have had a falling out.
- Try to see things from the point of view of someone who has upset you.
- Remember a time when someone forgave you and how it felt.
- Ask God to help you be more forgiving of others in your life.
DAY # 22 — Jesus showed gratitude —
- Give a simple gift to your mail carrier to raise spirits during his busiest season.
- Offer a prayer of gratitude. No requests. Just thanks.
- Write a thank-you letter to someone who has positively influenced your life.
- Fill your home or office with surprise thank-you notes for people to discover during the day.
- Start a notebook to record things you are grateful for each day.
- Make a vow of no complaining for one day. For each time you break the vow, pay a compliment to someone.
DAY # 23 — Jesus was a peacemaker —
- Do you owe someone an apology? Resolve to take action and offer it.
Click here to return to the Uplifting Stories Menu page
Click here to return to the Scriptural Jokes Menu page
Click here to return to the Main Menu page