America’s Most Biblically-hostile U.S. President, by David Barton
When one observes President Obama’s unwillingness to accommodate America’s four-century long religious conscience protection through his attempts to require Catholics to go against their own doctrines and beliefs, one is tempted to say that he is anti-Catholic. But that characterization would not be correct. Although he has recently singled out Catholics, he has equally targeted traditional Protestant beliefs over the past four years. So since he has attacked Catholics and Protestants, one is tempted to say that he is anti-Christian. But that, too, would be inaccurate. He has been equally disrespectful in his appalling treatment of religious Jews in general and Israel in particular. So perhaps the most accurate description of his antipathy toward Catholics, Protestants, religious Jews, and the Jewish nation would be to characterize him as anti-Biblical. And then when his hostility toward Biblical people of faith is contrasted with his preferential treatment of Muslims and Muslim nations, it further strengthens the accuracy of the anti-Biblical descriptor. In fact, there have been numerous clearly documented times when his pro-Islam positions have been the cause of his anti-Biblical actions.
Listed below in chronological order are (1) numerous records of his attacks on Biblical persons or organizations; (2) examples of the hostility toward Biblical faith that have become evident in the past three years in the Obama-led military; (3) a listing of his open attacks on Biblical values; and finally (4) a listing of numerous incidents of his preferential deference for Islam’s activities and positions, including letting his Islamic advisers guide and influence his hostility toward people of
1. Acts of hostility toward people of Biblical faith:
· February 2009 – Obama announces plans to revoke conscience protection for health workers who refuse to participate in medical activities that go against their beliefs, and fully implements the plan in February 2011.
· April 2009 – When speaking at Georgetown University, Obama orders that a monogram symbolizing Jesus’ name be covered when he is making his speech.
· May 2009 – Obama declines to host services for the National Prayer Day (a day established by federal law) at the White House.
· April 2009 – In a deliberate act of disrespect, Obama nominated three pro-abortion ambassadors to the Vatican; of course, the pro-life Vatican rejected all three.
· October 19, 2010 – Obama begins deliberately omitting the phrase about ‘the Creator’ when quoting the Declaration of Independence, an omission he has made on no less than seven occasions.
· November 2010 – Obama misquotes the National Motto, saying it is ‘E Pluribus Unum’ rather than ‘In God We Trust’ as established by federal law.
· January 2011 – After a federal law was passed to transfer a WWI Memorial in the Mojave Desert to private ownership, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled that the cross in the memorial could continue to stand, but the Obama administration refused to allow the land to be transferred as required by law, and refused to allow the cross to be re-erected as ordered by the Court.
· February 2011 – Although he filled posts in the State Department, for more than two years Obama did not fill the post of religious freedom ambassador, an official that works against religious persecution across the world; he filled it only after heavy pressure from the public and from Congress.
· April 2011 – For the first time in American history, Obama urges passage of a non-discrimination law that does not contain hiring protections for religious groups, forcing religious organizations to hire according to federal mandates without regard to the dictates of their own faith, thus eliminating conscience protection in hiring.
· August 2011 – The Obama administration releases its new health care rules that override religious conscience protections for medical workers in the areas of abortion and contraception.
· November 2011 – Obama opposes inclusion of President Franklin Roosevelt’s famous D-Day Prayer in the WWII Memorial.
· November 2011 – Unlike previous presidents, Obama studiously avoids any religious references in his Thanksgiving speech.
· December 2011 – The Obama administration denigrates other countries’ religious beliefs as an obstacle to radical homosexual rights.
· January 2012 – The Obama administration argues that the First Amendment provides no protection for churches and synagogues in hiring their pastors and rabbis.
· February 2012 – The Obama administration forgives student loans in exchange for public service, but announces it will no longer forgive student loans if the public service is related to religion.
2. Acts of hostility from the Obama-led military toward people of Biblical faith:
· June 2011 – The Department of Veterans Affairs forbids references to God and Jesus during burial ceremonies at Houston National Cemetery.
· August 2011 – The Air Force stops teaching the Just War theory to officers in California because the course is taught by chaplains and is based on a philosophy introduced by St. Augustine in the third century AD a theory long taught by civilized nations across the world (except America).
· September 2011 – Air Force Chief of Staff prohibits commanders from notifying airmen of programs and services available to them from chaplains.
· September 2011 – The Army issues guidelines for Walter Reed Medical Center stipulating that No religious items (i.e. Bibles, reading materials and/or facts) are allowed to be given away or used during a visit.
· November 2011 – The Air Force Academy rescinds support for Operation Christmas Child, a program to send holiday gifts to impoverished children across the world, because the program is run by a Christian charity.
· November 2011 – The Air Force Academy pays $80,000 to add a Stonehenge-like worship center for pagans, druids, witches and Wiccans.
· February 2012 – The U. S. Military Academy at West Point uninvites three star Army general and decorated war hero Lieutenant General William G. (‘Jerry’) Boykin (retired) from speaking at an event because he is an outspoken Christian.
· February 2012 – The Air Force removes ‘God’ from the patch of Rapid Capabilities Office (the word on the patch was in Latin: Dei).
· February 2012 – The Army orders Catholic chaplains not to read a letter to parishioners that their archbishop asked them to read.
3. Acts of hostility toward Biblical values:
· January 2009 – Obama lifts restrictions on U.S. government funding for groups that provide abortion services or counseling abroad, forcing taxpayers to fund pro-abortion groups that either promote or perform abortions in other nations.
· January 2009 – President Obama’s nominee for deputy secretary of state asserts that American taxpayers are required to pay for abortions and that limits on abortion funding are unconstitutional.
· March 2009 – The Obama administration shut out pro-life groups from attending a White House-sponsored health care summit.
· March 2009 – Obama orders taxpayer funding of embryonic stem cell research.
· March 2009 – Obama gave $50 million for the UNFPA, the UN population agency that promotes abortion and works closely with Chinese population control officials who use forced abortions and involuntary sterilizations.
· May 2009 – The White House budget eliminates all funding for abstinence-only education and replaces it with ‘comprehensive’ sexual education, repeatedly proven to increase teen pregnancies and abortions. He continues the deletion in subsequent budgets.
· May 2009 – Obama officials assemble a terrorism dictionary calling pro-life advocates violent and charging that they use racism in their ‘criminal’ activities.
· July 2009 – The Obama administration illegally extends federal benefits to same-sex partners of Foreign Service and Executive Branch employees, in direction violation of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
· September 16, 2009 – The Obama administration appoints as EEOC Commissioner Chai Feldblum, who asserts that society should ‘not tolerate’ any ‘private beliefs,’ including religious beliefs, if they may negatively affect homosexual ‘equality’.
· July 2010 – The Obama administration uses federal funds in violation of federal law to get Kenya to change its constitution to include abortion.
· August 2010 – The Obama administration Cuts-funding for 176 abstinence education programs.
· September 2010 – The Obama administration tells researchers to ignore a judges decision striking down federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.
· February 2011 – Obama directs the Justice Department to stop defending the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
March 2011 The Obama administration refuses to
investigate videos showing Planned Parenthood helping alleged sex traffickers
get abortions for victimized underage girls.
July 2011 Obama allows homosexuals to serve
openly in the military, reversing a policy originally instituted by George
Washington in March 1778.
September 2011 The Pentagon directs that
military chaplains may perform same-sex marriages at military facilities in
violation of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
October 2011 The Obama administration
eliminates federal grants to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops for their
extensive programs that aid victims of human trafficking because the Catholic
Church is anti-abortion.
4. Acts of preferentialism for Islam:
May 2009 While Obama does not host any
National Day of Prayer event at the White House, he does host White House Iftar
dinners in honor of Ramadan.
April 2010 Christian leader Franklin Graham is
disinvited from the Pentagons National Day of Prayer Event because of
complaints from the Muslim community.
April 2010 The Obama administration requires
rewriting of government documents and a change in administration vocabulary to
remove terms that are deemed offensive to Muslims, including jihad, jihadists,
terrorists, radical Islamic, etc.
August 2010 Obama speaks with great praise of
Islam and condescendingly of Christianity.
August 2010 Obama went to great lengths to
speak out on multiple occasions on behalf of building an Islamic mosque at
Ground Zero, while at the same time he was silent about a Christian church
being denied permission to rebuild at that location.
2010 While every White House traditionally
issues hundreds of official proclamations and statements on numerous occasions,
this White House avoids traditional Biblical holidays and events but regularly
recognizes major Muslim holidays, as evidenced by its 2010 statements on
Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr, Hajj, and Eid-ul-Adha.
October 2011 Obamas Muslim advisers block
Middle Eastern Christians access to the White House.
February 2012 The Obama administration makes
effulgent apologies for Korans being burned by the U. S. military, but when
Bibles were burned by the military, numerous reasons were offered why it was
the right thing to do.
Many of these actions are literally unprecedented this is the first time they
have happened in four centuries of American history. The hostility of President
Obama toward Biblical faith and values is without equal from any previous
1. Sarah Pulliam Baily,
“Obama: They cling to guns or religion,” Christianity Today, April
13, 2008. (Return)
2. Aliza Marcus, “Obama to
Lift Conscience Rule for Health Workers,” Bloomberg, February 27, 2009;
Sarah Pulliam Baily, “Obama Admin. Changes Bush Conscience Rule for
Health Workers,” Christianity Today, February 18, 2011. (Return)
3. Jim Lovino, “Jesus Missing
From Obamas Georgetown Speech,” NBC Washington, April 17, 2009. (Return)
4. Johanna Neuman, Obama end
Bush-era National Prayer Day Service at White House,” Los Angeles Times,
May 7, 2009. (Return)
5. Chris McGreal, Vatican vetoes Barack Obamas nominees for U.S. Ambassador, The Guardian, April 14,
6. Meredith Jessup, Obama
Continues to Omit Creator From Declaration of Independence, The Blaze, October 19, 2010.
7. “Remarks by the President
at the University of Indonesia in Jakarta,
The White House, November 10, 2010. (Return)
8. LadyImpactOhio, ” Feds sued
by Veterans to allow stolen Mojave Desert Cross to be rebuilt,” RedState,
January 14, 2011. (Return)
9. Marrianne Medlin, Amid
criticism, President Obama moves to fill vacant religious ambassador post,
Catholic News Agency, February 9, 2011; Thomas F. Farr, Undefender of the
Faith, Foreign Policy, April 5, 2012. (Return)
10. Chris Johnson, ENDA passage
effort renewed with Senate introduction, Washington Blade, April 15, 2011.
11. Chuck Donovan, HHSs New
Health Guidelines Trample on Conscience, Heritage Foundation, August 2, 2011.
12. Todd Starns, Obama
Administration Opposes FDR Prayer at WWII Memorial, Fox News, November 4,
13. Joel Siegel, Obama Omits God
From Thanksgiving Speech, Riles Critics, ABC News, November 25, 2011. (Return)
14. Hillary Rodham Clinton,
Remarks in Recognition of International Human Rights Day, U.S. Department of State, December
6, 2011. (Return)
15. Ted Olson, Church Wins Firing
Case at Supreme Court, Christianity Today, January 11, 2012. (Return)
16. Audrey Hudson, Obama
administration religious service for student loan forgiveness, Human Events,
February 15, 2012. (Return)
17. Houston Veterans Claim Censorship of Prayers,
Including Ban of God and Jesus, Fox News, June 29, 2011. (Return)
18. Jason Ukman, Air Force
suspends ethics course that used Bible passages that train missle launch
officers, Washington Post, August 2, 2011. (Return)
19. “Maintaining Government
Neutrality Regarding Religion,” Department of the Air Force, September 1,
20. “Wounded, Ill, and Injured
Partners in Care Guidelines,” Department of the Navy (accessed on February
29, 2012). (Return)
21. “AirForceAcademy Backs Away from Christmas
Charity,” Fox News Radio, November 4, 2011. (Return)
22. Jenny Dean, “AirForceAcademy adapts to pagans,
druids, witches and Wiccans,” Los Angeles Times, November 26, 2011.
23. Ken Blackwell, “Gen.
Boykin Blocked At West Point,” cnsnews.com, February 1, 2012. (Return)
24. Geoff Herbert, ” Air Force
unit removes ‘God’ from logo; lawmakers warn of ‘dangerous precedent’,” syracuse.com, February 9, 2012.
25. Todd Starnes, “Army
Silences Catholic Chaplains,” Fox News Radio, February 6, 2012. (Return)
26. Jeff Mason and Deborah Charles,
“Obama lifts restrictions on abortion funding,” Reuters, January 23,
27. “Obama pick: Taxpayers
must fund abortions,” World Net Daily, January 27, 2009. (Return)
28. Steven Ertelt, “Pro-Life
Groups Left Off Obamas Health Care Summit List, Abortion Advocates OK,”
LifeNews, March 5, 2009. (Return)
29. ” Obama Signs Order
Lifting Restrictions on Stem Cell Research Funding,” Fox News, March 9,
30. Steven Ertelt, “President
Barack Obamas Pro-Abortion Record: A Pro-Life Compilation,” LifeNews,
February 11, 2012. (Return)
31. Steven Ertelt, “Barack
Obamas Federal Budget Eliminates Funding for Abstinence-Only Education,”
LifeNews, May 8, 2009. (Return)
32. Steven Ertelt, “Obama
Budget Funds Sex Ed Over Abstinence on 16-1 Margin,” LifeNews, February
14, 2011. (Return)
33. Steven Ertelt, “Obama
Admin Terrorism Dictionary Calls Pro-Life Advocates Violent, Racist,”
LifeNews, May 5, 2009. (Return)
34. “Memorandum for the Heads
of Executive Departments and Agencies,” The White House, June 17, 2009.
35. Matt Cover, “Obamas EEOC
Nominee: Society Should Not Tolerate Private Beliefs That Adversely Affect
Jan 18, 2010.
36. Tess Civantos, “White
House Spent $23M of Taxpayer Money to Back Kenyan Constitution That Legalizes
Abortion, GOP Reps Say,” Fox , July 22, 2010
37. Steven Ertelt, “Obama,
Congress Cut Funding for 176 Abstinence Programs Despite New Study,”
LifeNews, August 26, 2010. (Return)
38. Steven Ertelt, “President
Barack Obamas Pro-Abortion Record: A Pro-Life Compilation,” LifeNews,
February 11, 2012. (Return)
39. Brian Montopoli, “Obama
administration will no longer defend DOMA,” CBSNews, February 23, 2011.
40. Steven Ertelt, “Obama
Admin Ignores Planned Parenthood Sex Trafficking Videos,” LifeNews, March
2, 2011. (Return)
41. Elisabeth Bumiller, “Obama
Ends Dont Ask, Dont Tell Policy,” New York Times, July 22, 2011.
42. Luis Martinez, “Will Same
Sex Marriages Pose a Dilemma for Military Chaplains?,” ABC News, October
12, 2011. (Return)
43. Jerry Markon, “Health,
abortion issues split Obama administration and Catholic groups,”
Washington Post, October 31, 2011. (Return)
44. Alexander Mooney,
“President Obama marks Ramadan,” CNN, August 1, 2011. (Return)
45. “Franklin Graham Regrets
Army’s Decision to Rescind Invite to Pentagon Prayer Service,” Fox News,
April 22, 2010. (Return)
46. Obama Bans Islam, Jihad From
National Security Strategy Document, Fox News, April 7, 2010;
“Counterterror Adviser Defends Jihad as ‘Legitimate Tenet of Islam’,”
Fox News, May 27, 2010; “‘Islamic Radicalism’ Nixed From Obama Document,”
CBSNews, April 7, 2010. (Return)
47. Chuck Norris, “President
Obama: Muslim Missionary?,” Townhall.com, August 17, 2010.(Return)
48. “Obama Comes Out in Favor
of Allowing Mosque Near Ground Zero,” Fox News, August 13, 2010; Pamela
Geller, “Islamic Supremacism Trumps Christianity at Ground Zero,”
American Thinker, July 21, 2011. (Return)
49. “WH Fails to Release
Easter Proclamation,” Fox Nation, April 25, 2011; “President Obama
ignores most holy Christian holiday; AFA calls act intentional,” American
Family Association (accessed on February 29, 2012).(Return)
50. “Report: Obamas Muslim
Advisers Block Middle Eastern Christians Access to the White House,” Big
Peace (accessed on February 29, 2012). (Return)
“USA/Afghanistan-Islamophobia: Pentagon official apologizes for Quran
burning,” International Islamic News Agency (accessed on February 29,
52. “Military burns
unsolicited Bibles sent to Afghanistan,”
CNN, May 22, 2009. (Return)
Click here to return to the
Political Perspective page
to return to the Scriptural Jokes Menu page
to return to the Main Menu page