Did You Know?
Did you know?
· If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of your mouth. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left side of your mouth.
· To make half a kilo of honey, bees must collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers.
· Heroin is the brand name of morphine once marketed by ‘Bayer’.
· Communications giant Nokia was founded in 1865 as a wood-pulp mill by Fredrik Idestam.
· Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!
· Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952, but he declined.
· Astronauts can’t belch – there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.
· Ancient Roman, Chinese and German societies often used urine as mouthwash.
· The average person who stops smoking requires one hour less sleep a night.
· The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In the Renaissance era, it was fashionable to shave them off!
· Because of the speed at which Earth moves around the Sun, it is impossible for a solar eclipse to last more than 7 minutes and
· The night of January 20 is “Saint Agnes’s Eve,” which is regarded as a time when a young woman dreams of her future husband.
· There are over 25 million bubbles waiting to burst out of each bottle of champagne.
· Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.
· It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!
· The heat of peppers is rated on the Scoville scale.
· Gold is the only metal that doesn’t rust, even if it’s buried in the ground for thousands of years.
· Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
· If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. When a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.
· Each year 2,000,000 smokers either quit smoking or die of tobacco-related diseases.
· When it originally appeared in 1886, Coca Cola was billed as an Esteemed Brain Tonic and Intellectual Beverage.
· Zero is the only number that cannot be represented by Roman numerals.
· Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.
· The song, Auld Lang Syne, is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in
the new year.
· For every real Christmas tree harvested, two to three seedlings are planted in its place.
· Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your mouth by 61 percent.
· Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn’t smoke unless it’s heated above 450 degrees F.
· The Shell Oil Company originally began as a novelty shop in London that sold seashells.
· The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through
the veins in the ear.
· Nine out of every 10 living things live in the ocean.
· The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man.
· Airports at high altitudes require a longer airstrip due to lower air density.
· Fish and Chip selling officially remained an offensive trade until 1940 due to the smell it produces.
· The University of Alaska spans four time zones.
· The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself.
· In ancient Greece, tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. Catching it meant she accepted.
· Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru (Hear no evil) and Mazaru (Speak no evil).
· Warner Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song Happy Birthday.
· Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
· A comet’s tail always points away from the sun.
· The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.
· Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, and that is why it is found in some medicines.
· The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their
· If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day.
· When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight.
· Trivia in Roman mythology was the goddess who haunted crossroads, graveyards and was the goddess of sorcery and witchcraft.
She wandered about at night, and was seen only by the barking of dogs who told of her approach.
· In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they were unarmed.
· Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the outside.
· Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167 calories per hundred grams.
· It cost the soft drink industry $100 million a year for thefts committed involving vending machines.
· The moon moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.
· The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.
· Due to earth’s gravity, it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.
· Men’s shirts have the buttons on the right, but women’s shirts have the buttons on the left.
· Mickey Mouse is known as “Topolino” in Italy.
· Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to
knock the bridge down.
· The painting that won second place in a competition held by the US National Academy of Design was hanging upside down
when it was judged.
· Everything weighs one percent less at the equator.
· For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530 kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off.
· The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements.
· And last but not least: In 2011, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays. This apparently happens once every 823
years! This is called ‘money bags’.