Select Page

familyhxjhd2 ( ** )

Joseph Henry Dean — the year 1912


The forepart of January 1912 was a very profitable period for father.  He sold throw rugs to run his stock low and he wrote on January 3rd:  “I feel so blessed I have had to cry.”  And on January 6th: “Just a month today since we started to do business.  What a wonderful moth it has been for me.”  Father’s contacts included these (in the many) — the Brownings and the Dees, who father said did not need the rugs, but just bought to satisfy their fancy.  Father was very happy and enthused when the sales were made, and naturally “blue” when they lagged.  On January 8th he wrote: “Don’t think I will stay in Ogden more than this week.”  He had tried to sell at the school for the Deaf and Dumb, and also at the Reform School, but was not successful.  But on January 11th, his profits were $55.00, and on January 13th $27.00.  On January 14th, he received word from Charley Brown in Salt Lake that sales there had been excellent.  He sent off money for six more of his debts, and wrote on January 14th: “I don’t feel impressed to leave Ogden yet, so I suppose there is more business here if I dig for it.”  But January 17th found father back in Salt Lake, where he and Charley Brown and Wilford continued the business of selling, with varying success.  Some days good, some days nothing.  January 18th, father went to South Jordan among wife Sally’s relatives and at a party at Emma Stocking’s he sang ‘At The Feast of Belshazzar’ and recited ‘St. Peter At The Gate’ and started them playing the game ‘THE PRINCE OF WALES HAS LOST HIS CAP’, which made them laugh until they cried.

January 24th found father in Lehi, where he met two former Samoan missionaries, paid a license to the city to sell, and arranged for a room in Union Hotel.  While in Lehi father received word from Wilford in Salt Lake that they had made no sales for several days, and he wrote: “I shan’t stay in company with Charley Brown any longer if he is going to stick in Salt Lake and make no sales.”  Stake conference was held in Lehi on January 27th and 28th, and father attended and was called on by Apostle James E. Talmage to speak in the opening meeting.  He wrote: “I greatly enjoyed myself and was listened to with the strictest attention.  I spoke for 20 minutes.  The following speakers followed my theme and my remarks were referred to in the afternoon meeting.  It is a splendid introduction for me also to the people of this and surrounding towns and will make my way much more pleasant in a business way.”  Wilford joined father in Lehi on January 28th, but their sales were disappointing, and February 3rd, 1912 found them in American Fork, where father paid $2.50 for a selling license and took room at McDonald Hotel for $2.00 a day, room and board.  Sales were very disappointing and February 9th found them in Provo.

(Page 395)

Father settled in the Roberts Hotel in Provo and the first days’ sales brought him $10.00 profit.  Wilford [went] back to Salt Lake and [joined] Charley Brown.  While in Provo, father decided to change the sales plan and each one go on his own, that is, Brown and father, as father felt that he had lost at least $150.00 on the partnership deal with Brown.  While in Provo, father received disheartening news from his wife Florence, that Donald had had several more spasms, as many as five in one day.  Father wrote: “Florence has changed her mind about coming up here and wants to come now.  I had previously suggested that she come up but she thought that instead of spending the money on railway fare, we could fix up the home at Redmesa and give the girls music lessons.  Now she has changed her mind.”

FINANCES: Provo, February 14th, 1912: Father wrote: “Got word from Wilford that he placed $35.00 to my credit, which, with what I now have on hand, covers the check I sent off yesterday for $229.00 to pay the borrowed money I owed them.  That leaves me [unreadable].  My! But how glorious to get that paid off.  They have been hounding me for it for four months, threatening suit, etc.  But I am spending on my debts money that I owe Albert and Company in Fruitland for the blankets, but will soon start in now and apply everything to them that I can spare.  I feel so thankful that the La Plata County Bank business is off my neck.  Wilford say that he thinks Charley Brown will return to Mancos if we dissolve.”

NOTE 1972: If I remember correctly, father’s debt to Albert Company for rugs was not settled and in later years, while father was on his third mission to the Islands in 1916-1917, Lawrence and Charley assumed that debt as partial payment for their homes in Redmesa, which father transacted with them.  H.A.D.

PSYCHOLOGY:  Provo, February 15th, 1912: Father wrote: “Have been blessed today.  My earnings for this week have amounted to $127.00, or $18.00 per day, and if I arrange it up with last week when I did nothing, it is $9.00 per day.  When another dull spell strikes me, why can’t I be happy and realize that another good spell will follow it?”

PARTNERSHIP WITH BROWN:  On February 16th, father returned to Salt Lake with the purpose of dissolving the partnership with Charley Brown, but he ran into difficulties.  He wrote: “As I have been outselling Brown and Wilford combined, and consequently I lose by the co-partnership, I wanted to dissolve, but Charley doesn’t intend letting me off seemingly.  At least he is not willing to divide at the point where I left for Lehi, so I suppose I will have to stand it.”  And on February 17th: “Charley Brown has done a marvelous day’s work at Fort Douglas.  He sold 12 rugs, over $200.00.  This will even up our account somewhat and makes me pleased of course, and makes a good day for me as well as him.”

JASPER ON MISSION:  Jasper has been on his mission for about nine months, is it, and father has made no mention of the expenses involved.  Bout on Febuary 17th, 1912, he wrote: “I sent Jasper $30.00 again today, and also $25.00 to Florence and $10.00 to Sally.  I got me a $3.90 pair of shoes.”  (Note: He would pay $35.00 for the same shoes at ZCMI today.  HAD.)

SHORTAGE OF STOCK:  Salt Lake City, February 22nd, 1912: “I wrote to Bluff this morning to Frank Hyde for 500 pounds of blankets if he wants to do business with me.  So in a few days we should have a supply on hand.  I will be glad when some arrive so we can get down to work again.”

HEBER J. GRANT’S SINGING:  Father went to West Jordan again and attended the stake (Page 396) conference being held there where Heber J. Grant and James W. McMurrin were the visiting authorities.  Like father, Apostle Grant like and enjoyed his singing.  Father wrote: “Brother Grant sang two pieces, ‘Truth Reflects’ and ‘Come, Come Ye Saints’.  For some reason, he has been made to believe that he can sing.”

HOTEL UTAH SOUVENIR COMPANY: On March 1st, 1912, father and Charley Brown negotiated with this company for them to take over the Souvenir Company of the Hotel Utah, who had about $100.00 worth of Navajo rugs in stock, but were doing very little business, not know the ropes.  An intricate contract was signed involving so much percent for this and for that, too long to put here, but on March 1st father wrote: “Have spent most of the day getting our agreement with the Hotel Souvenir Company drawn up and singed and cleaning up the dirty rugs they have over there.  Everything went through as agreed upon yesterday, and so the thing is a go for ‘weal or for woe’.  I feel easy in my mind about it and take that as proof that it is the right thing to do.”  (I hope!)  They took a room for $45 a month rent.  “We, Brother Brown and I , are sleeping in the great Hotel Utah at night.  Everything is the very best that money can buy.”  (Where is Wilford?)  Note: I have misread someplace, because father returned to Provo with Wilford and Charley Brown remained in Salt Lake City.

Father wrote on March 2nd: “Brother Brown felt lonesome when I left yesterday.  WE are getting along very nicely together now and a splendid feeling exists between us.”  After his return to Provo, father and Wilford were quite successful.  He wrote: “Our sales in Provo have netted us $454.00 since we started.”  And Charley Brown in Salt Lake also did well.  Father wrote on March 8th: “So together we have had a very good week.  I feel we were greatly blessed.”

EXTRAVAGANZA: “I was fool enough tonight to spend 50 cents to see a boxing and wrestling match.  I am sorry I did because it was not interesting.”  Father alternated between Provo and Salt Lake.  On Sunday, March 11th, he wrote: “Spent the morning in the Hotel Utah here principally talking Mormonism to some outsiders.  This is a splendid place in which to do missionary work.  They drank in all I said and thanked me most heartily.”

WHISKERS:  “I have had many laughable experiences on account of having shaved off my mustache.  Acquaintances look me in the face and don’t know me.”

STOCK REPLENISHED: March 12th, 1912 – “Our long lost shipment of rugs from Algerts has come at last and we have spent the day cleaning, marking, and arranging them.  Sent about 200 pounds to Provo and intend following them up tomorrow.  We have a nice assortment now.  Charley Brown sold $40.00 but can’t get the money until April 15th.”

DISCOURAGEMENT:  Sales were fair in Provo for a few days, but on March 20th Father wrote: “I think I shall go on to Spanish Fork tomorrow.  It looks like we have got Provo pretty well worked over.  Wilford has only sold $19.00 in two weeks and Brother Brown doesn’t seem to be doing anything either.”

SPANISH FORK:  March 21st, Father put up at the Charlotte Hotel at $1.50 a day board and room.  No sales, so on to Eureka on March 25th where sales were a little better, but word from Wilford and Charley Brown was that they had not sold anything.

CONTEMPLATION:  Eureka, March 26th, 1912: Father was a very spiritually-minded man.  On this date he wrote: “I took a long four-mile walk up the rail road this afternoon (Page 397) and spent a couple of hours in silent contemplation with myself, and seemed to enjoy it there in a lonely place.  I felt to re-dedicate myself to the Lord.  I quite enjoyed it.

DISCOURAGEMENT FROM CHARLEY BROWN:  March 17th, 1912 – He was in charge of the sales at Hotel Utah and was making very little progress.  He wrote father at Eureka on this date, that he (Brown) would not ship any more rugs to him until he had heard from father on this proposition:  “He couldn’t sleep or eat and was so worrying because he couldn’t make sales, so he thought that I had better come and take his place and let him start off for home (Mancos) and work some of the railroad towns as he went.”   After weighing the matter for a while, I thought it would be a good idea for him to come down here (Eureka) and work with Wilford until conference and I go up there.  I telephoned him to that effect, and he said to call it all off as he had made a sale and the atmosphere had a different hue.

WILFORD: March 27th – Wilford has just arrived from Provo.  He made $53.00 cash sales today besides giving a $12.00 blanket to a traveling man for a sample suit, tailor-made cloth which he got for his mother.

NEWS FROM HOME:  March 30th, 1912 – Eureka: “Letters from home again today tell of the baby Donald having 6 more convulsions last Friday and Saturday, but he was better again.”  And of March 31st: “Got letters today from Stanley, Lea, Dorothy and a few lines from Florence.  All is well.”

BACK TO SALT LAKE: Eureka, April 1st, 1912: “Wilford and I have made up our minds to go in to Salt Lake in the morning, as there doesn’t seem to be much chance here and Salt Lake is filling up anyway with people for conference.”

PURCHASES FOR HOME: Salt Lake, April 3rd: “Have had some success today, sold three rugs, about $40.00 sales.  I also spent a good deal of the day buying a bill of goods for the folks at home.  Bought two suits of clothes, one each for Lawrence and Charley, ten dollars each and about $45.00 worth of stuff besides — petticoats, shoes, stockings, shirts, collars, etc. at West Mail Order House for which they will take rugs, all but the suits and I paid cash for them.” And furthermore, next day: “I got a bolt of bed sheeting, 49 yards and six bolts of ginghams and calicos, spool cotton, hocks and eyes, pearl buttons, which with what I got yesterday makes about $85.00 and which I have bundled up and intend sending them home to Redmesa with the conference people.”

CHARLEY DINWOODEY:  Salt Lake City, April 6th, 1912 – “Charley Dinwoodey has decided to take our proposition and take the road selling Navajos, but before final decision, want to talk it over with Lucy.”

CHARLEY BROWN:  “Brother Brown got off for home on the 7 am train with Will Becker, and his new wife Sadie Halls.  He expects to return by May 1st and continue with the selling of rugs.”  (His son, Ben Lincoln, died three days after he arrived home of bronchitis.)

SALES:  $100.00 on April 10th and $37.00 April 11th.  $14.75 on April 12th.  April 23rd $140.00.  (After a long dry spell, with father was in the store in Hotel Utah.)

HEARTWARMING:  April 12th, 1912 – Father received 35 post cards from members of the Redmesa Sunday School.  They all expressed the wish that he will soon be home.

WILFORD HANKY-PANKY:  April 12th – “Wilford has gone to a dance tonight, and he was gone to the theatre last night.  And so it goes in this city.  He has only sold one $9.00 rug since we reached here from Eureka ten days ago.”  But April 13th – “Wilford sold $40.00 worth tonight – $11.00 profit.”  (After all, dad, Wilford was just that age.)

TO OGDEN AGAIN:  April 22nd, 1912 – “I have made up my mind to go to Ogden in the morning.  Have gotten sick of waiting around for customers to come to me.  And Wilford is not willing to go out of town, so he can just as well lay around here and do the waiting, etc.”  And “I like working out in the country better than the city, that is the waiting in the curio shop for customers to come in.  But after June, I think that stand will bring up good results.”

SALES: The first week in Ogden father recorded $334.00 in sales, with about $110.00 profit.  “That looks like old times again”, father wrote.  “Wilford has not made a sale all week in Salt Lake.”

CHARLEY DINWOODEY: Father wrote on April 27th, 1912: “As Charley Dinwoodey wants a shipment of rugs so he can start selling on May 1st, I sent him 26, to Idaho Falls, retail price $463.25, upon which he gets 30% when he sells them, or $139.00.”

FINANCES: Ogden, May 3rd, 1912: “Received a letter from Wilford in Salt Lake, saying that Charley Brown had returned but brought no blankets.  He had picked out 600 pounds at Alberts, but they refused to ship until we have settled up.  That’s a pretty kettle of fish.  I can’t see the use of his coming back with any blankets.”   AND  “Also got a short crisp note from Bishop Taylor saying that my check for $55.00 sent him for my tithing had been refused and returned “protested”.  There was $3.75 penalty to pay.  When it came to the bank, my account lacked $22.00 of paying it, through my making the blunder of crediting twice a deposit I had made.  So I am out that $3.75 as well as having done no business. And so it goes.”

GOODBYE HOTEL UTAH: “We have decided to vacate our room at Hotel Utah as Brother Brown has free lodgings at his sister’s, and I am away here in Ogden, and I AM GOING HOME FOR A MONTH.  (This is the SLEEPING room and not the curio shop, I think.)

NOTE: The thought strikes me, why does not father sleep at Amanda Anderson’s?  He does not mention her nor records going there.  The $45.00 a month room at the Hotel Utah was money those days.  H.A.D.

WILFORD: May 6th, 1912: Father and Charley Brown tried to get Wilford to go to Price and work that territory, but he was reluctant to do so.  Father wrote: “We have stopped the hotel room and if Wilford stays in Salt Lake he will have to get him a sleeping room.”

FINANCES:  Salt Lake City, May 7th: “Worked hard again all day and sold nothing.  Am beginning to get quite used to it, but it is getting pretty serious.  I am dead broke, and have nothing to go home on, and I want to start in another week.  I should not go home with less that $100.00 as I will have to get me a $30.00 mileage book and I have an idea I will bring Florence back with me as I consider her mother in a condition where she might not live long and I fell like Florence should pay her a visit.

COURAGE: Ogden May 8th: “Another day gone and no sales!  It is really laughable were it not so infernal serious.  Two weeks tonight since I made a sale.  I have walked from house to house and repeated my little talk till I have gotten disgusted with the whole affair.  I haven’t any word from Salt Lake either that Charley Brown or Wilford have sold anything there.  I have cut my meals down to 10 cents, 20 cents, and 25 cents.  I have just a quarter left in my pocket and I am going to see if I can’t make that last until I make a sale.”  And the next day: “Made another sale at last, $12.00 profit.  Just 15 days since I sold anything.  I hope no such spell strikes me again.  I wouldn’t have believed it had I not experienced it and would have thought that any other salesman was a chump that would have been so unsuccessful for so long a time.  The 600 pounds of rugs that Brother Brown ordered from Algerts has arrived for which I am very happy.”

OGDEN, MAY 11th, 1912, SALES:  In desperation, father phoned his contacts to the effect that he was going home and would reduce the price of the rugs by 20%, to no effect.

TRICKS IN SMALL TRADES: Ogden, May 11th, 1912 – “Then I phoned Sister Dee, who had already purchased over $300.00 worth of rugs, that I had an extra-fine “old chief” rug I would like her to see and some silver ware and some little looms, and she told me to come out with them.  And blessed if she didn’t buy the old chief, $59.00 on which the profit is $38.00, also a bracelet, so a little money on hand again.  Brother Brown sold $80.00 at Fort Douglas yesterday, but had to take checks dated 60 to 90 days ahead.”

SALES: They improved both in Ogden and Salt Lake and father wrote on May 13th:  “Our luck seems to have changed and I won’t have to go home dead broke.  As we have no room at the Hotel Utah now, I have taken on at the Raymond — 50 cents.  Wilford is here also with a room.”

SHOPPING: May 14th: “Have spent the whole day shopping for my dear one, and I never do anything with my money that give me more satisfaction.  I have bought hats for Sally, Florence, Stella, Louise, Leah, Dorothy and five more for the boys, underwear for Harry, Charley and Clifford, shoes for Leah and Donald, window blinds for Florence (five of them), white dress goods for Louise, Stella, and Leah and white stuff for petticoats, two dozen men’s socks, one box of shoestrings, gloves for Sally and Florence, etc, etc.  I got everything at the millinery for Navajo rugs through the West Mail Order House.  I am completely fagged out.”  (I should think he would be.)

ON TO COLORADO AND HOME: Father left Salt Lake by train on May 16th, well loaded down with parcels, including two Navajo rugs which he succeeded in selling on the train.  Due to much rain, they were delayed considerably on the journey.  Apostles Francis M. Lyman and George Albert Smith were on the same train going to Mancos to organize the San Juan Stake (and they also re-organized the Redmesa Ward).  Another reason for father’s going home was to prove up on his land he had filed on.  He had to do that on June 7th.  Father arrived in Durango after several stopovers because of the railway track being washed out.  He wrote on May 22nd, six days after having left Salt Lake: “Charley and John Evans were at the depot to meet me.  Charley needed saw dust for their ice house, and so came in.  And so we could get supplies also.”

REORGANIZATION OF THE SAN JUAN STAKE: Under the direction of Apostles Francis M. Lyman and George Albert Smith, it took place in Mancos, but father does not list the date.  The stake officers were — David Halls, president; Hiram Martin Taylor and John H. Hammond, counselors; Bert Halls, stake clerk; Joseph H. Dean, Superintendent of the Sunday Schools; Bertha Davenport, President of Young Ladies; Joseph H. Dean, stake chorister; and several other officers.  Father was taken out of the Seventies Presidency and put in as a High Councilor, being ordained a High Priest.

REORGANIZATION OF THE REDMESA WARD: (The latter part of May 1912, but father did not say the date.)  But he did write: “The surprise of the conference was the reorganization of the Redmesa Ward, with LEO S. TAYLOR, BISHOP, with Amos Slade and Wilford H. Dean as counselors.  Leo is not twenty yet, but he will make good, and if Wilford will, on account of the calling, come home from Salt Lake and settle down and remain here, it will be a blessing to him.”  The name of the new stake was changed to YOUNG STAKE, instead of SAN JUAN.

CHANGE OF OFFICERS:  Redmesa, May 23rd, 1912: The reorganization of the stake and the reorganization of the Redmesa Ward necessitated some changes in officers of the organizations.  Father had been made a High Councilman and released from the President of the Seventies Quorum of the stake.  He had also been put in as Take Superintendent of Sunday School which necessitated his release as Superintendent of the Redmesa Sunday School.  Newly-appointed stake president, Davie Halls, spent Sunday May 26th in Redmesa, and made the changes in the ward, releasing father and putting in Vosco Burnham as Sunday School Superintendent, with William Davenport and Harry A. Dean as assistants.  Lawrence J. Dean was chosen and ordained secretary of Stake Sunday Schools.  Father was set apart as Stake Chorister by President David Halls.  Father chose L. B. Burnham and William F. Slade as counselors in the stake Sunday School.

SOCIAL GATHERING: Redmesa, May 28th, 1912: Father wrote: “At 8 p.m., the married people of the ward met here at Sally’s at our invitation to an ice cream festival and social gathering.  We had a lovely time.  The program consisted of: music by Redmesa string and harmonica band, remarks by Lottie Walker, H. M. Taylor, Josephine Taylor, reading by Lillie Maxfield, song by Nellie Hadden and Lurina Steele, three selections by Claire Roberts and Harry A. Dean, and a benediction by William Walker.  We ate all the ice cream everybody could stuff, two or three of the brethren eating about two quarts apiece.  The following were present with their wives: H. M. Taylor, T. J. Hadden, James M. Slade, John Evans, Don C. Roberts, Carl Walker, Arthur Zufelt, William Davenport, Willis Taylor, William Walker, Will Wilden, Perry Burnham, Charles Steele, and Joseph H. Dean and wives Sally and Florence, Lawrence, Dean, Lillie Maxfield, Grandma Burnham, Harry Dean, Clifford Dean, Eva Taylor Roberts, for a total of 37.  We dismissed at 10:30 and then served ice cream again to those who wanted some more, and that was everybody.”

WILFORD DEAN ORDAINED HIGH PRIEST: Note – At the organization of the Redmesa Ward when Leo S. Taylor had been chosen Bishop, he chose Wilford H. Dean as one of the Counselors.  At the time, Wilford was in Salt Lake selling Navajo rugs with Charley Brown.  One June 2nd, 1912, father wrote: “Got letter from Wilford that he had been ordained a High Priest by Apostle Francis M. Lyman and set apart as second counselor in the Redmesa bishopric, and that he was somewhat reconciled to the subject now.  They, Wilford and Charley Brown have done very little business since I left and Brother Brown had expressed himself to Wilford that he would sell out to us and come home, and then he changed his mind again.”Wilford’s being chosen to act in the Bishopric would of course necessitate his leaving Salt Lake City and returning to Redmesa to work on the farm and assume his religious appointment in the ward.

WARD TEACHING: It was a sacred ritual in the Redmesa Ward.  Once each month it was given priority over other activities and farm work.  On June 3rd, 1912, father wrote: “Have spent the day teaching at the request of the Bishopric.  Met a 9 am in the meeting house and had an hour’s meeting.  My companions were Arthur Zufelt, and Orva Warren, and our “beat” was Don C. Roberts, Frank Roberts, Charles Steele, and Arthur Zufelt.  WE WALKED ALL THE WAY AND BY THE TIME I GOT HOME FROM EVENING REPORT MEETING AT 9 PM, I HAD WALKED 10 MILES.  Lawrence and Harry and Charley have been made Priests, and are not used any more in the Teacher’s Quorum, to their great disappointment, so they have irrigated all day.”

MUSIC:  June 4th, 1912:  “Leo Taylor and the boys have been practicing a male quartet for Sunday night.”

FARM WORK: Redmesa, June 5th, 1912:  The tasks were many and varied: “Spent the morning with Lawrence working on the pig pasture while Charlie went up on the ditch.  Harry went for a load of wood”.  Next day: “Spent all the day irrigating with Harry and Stanley.  Clifford plowed and Lawrence and Charley worked on the pig pasture.”

ANOTHER SOCIAL: June 6th, 2012: “We have had a gathering here tonight of the young people of the ward, similar to that for the married folds last week.  There was a big crowd and they seemed to enjoy themselves.  The following were present”: (father lists 42 of them, which list included all the children of the Deans, Taylors, Davenports, Walkers, Haddens, Pinkertons, Halls, Wildens, Steele, among others.  The social this time was held at wife Florence’s.  They dismissed at 11:40.

FATHER CONTEMPLATES RESUMING THE SALE OF NAVAJO RUGS: Redmesa, June 10th, 1912: “I had a talk with June Poutz on Navajo rugs.  I told him I wanted to know what I could depend on, as I didn’t care to start out and not be sure of goods.  HE said we could have all we wanted.  So I picked out about 750 pounds, representing about that many dollars and brought 300 pounds with us, that Florence and I can take as baggage on the train and the rest can be shipped as freight.  I think I shall go up through Idaho, Montana, and maybe Oregon and California for the summer and fall.”

FATHER HONORED: The ward gave father a social honoring him before he let on the trip.  There were 42 young people and 37 married people present, but 18 of the ward members did not turn out for some reason and father wondered why.  There were 15 members on the program.  Bishop Leo S. Taylor presided at the program, and the Deans of course played an active part, including a sketch of father’s life by wife Sally, and the reading of some of father’s poetry by wife Florence, and music by Harry A. Dean and Claire Roberts, and a song by Myrtle Davenport.  Father wrote: “Florence’s reading of my poetry, melted many to tears as they were pieces written in the penitentiary and breathed of the gloom of the circumstances under which they were composed.  The pieces were “My Happy Home”, “To Sarah My Wife on her 32nd Birthday”, and “Lillian’s Fourth Birthday”.  After the program, there was a picnic and then a dance until midnight.

WORD FROM WILFORD IN SALT LAKE: “Letter from Wilford today.  He and Charley Brown are doing no business and they are both lying around Salt Lake.  It is mighty strange to me that one of them at least doesn’t get out and sell something.  I told Wilford to deposit $40 to my credit in Slat Lake Bank but he says that is impossible as they can’t even pay their running expenses.  I shall have to draw however $25 at least and trust to selling some rugs on the train to meet it.  I am determined to go it alone after I get back to Salt Lake.  I shall go north through Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and maybe California.

HIRAM M. TAYLOR: “Brother and Sister Taylor got back from Salt Lake (June 15th) where they have been to get their Second Anointings.  He is thinking of going back July 1st and join us in selling Navajos.  He says Charley Brown told him that Wilford hasn’t sold a blanket since I left six weeks ago, which mean he is doing nothing, and that Wilford won’t leave Salt Lake though Charley Brown has hinted to him that he should.  He is simply spending money and bringing nothing in.”

FINANCES:  June 15th, 1912: “While in Salt Lake, Brother Taylor went and saw the First Presidency about our $5000.00 loan at the bank, and they refuse to help us out any.  They expect us to meet our own obligations.”  And on June 16th: “Harmon Coary lent me $40.00 for ten days and Leo Taylor $10.00 for 15 days, that is I gave them my checks payable at these dates, in exchange for theirs.  This way I got money to take Florence up on.  I gave Florence and Sally each $20.00 of Navajo rugs this morning.”

DEEDING OF HOMES TO WIVES: Durango, June 17th, 1912: In May of 1912, father made final entry and proved up on his land he had filed on through the Desert Act at Redmesa.  On June 17th, 1912, father made this entry in his journal” “I also deeded to Sally the 40 acres her home is on, and to Florence the 40 her home is on.”

NOTE, FEBRUARY 1972: On the flyleaf of journal Number 44, for the year 1912, appears this printed article, evidently in the Idaho Falls paper (or it could have been a Salt Lake City paper).  The article is not complete and appears like this: “…Idaho, he served as ward and stake Sunday School Superintendent at Redmesa, Colorado.  An accomplished musician, he served as stake chorister at Shelley for many years.”     At a testimonial meeting held in his honor in the Shelley Stake when he was 83 years of age, the stake tabernacle was crowded to capacity with his many friends.  Mr. Dean’s chief avocation is music, and he has worked in this field early all his life as a chorister and composer.  He has written many hymns, the best know of which is “Before Thee Lord, I Bow My Head”, which has been published in the L.D.S. hymn book.  Also a poet, Mr. Dean has written several poems, the latest of which, “Have I Lost Or Won”, was published at Idaho Falls, Idaho.  Always methodical, he has kept a journal from the age of 19.  Seventy of these journals are now in the possession of the L.D.S. Church and furnish much vital information regarding the early days of the Church, and the establishment of the Church in the Pacific Islands.  A vital tenant of his philosophy of life is the creed that “PROMPTNESS IS VITAL”.  During the thirty years that he lived in Shelley, Idaho, he was never late to a meeting or other function.  Mr. Dean married Sarah Allen Arnold in October 1876, and Florence Ridges in June 1885.  Both of these marriages were performed in the Salt Lake Endowment House.  He is the father of 22 children, 71 grandchildren, and 64 great grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.  Since April, he has resided in Vernal with his two daughters, Mrs. Lewis D. Roberts and Mrs. W. S. Clark.

The first part of the article is missing, and why it was posted in the journal of 1912, I don’t know.  (H.A.D.)

ON TO SALT LAKE: Father, wife Florence and baby Dorothy (no mention is made of Donald) left Durango on June 18th, 1912, and arrived in Salt Lake two days later.

WILFORD AND CHARLEY BROWN:  “Wilford was at the depot to meet us.  After considerable consideration, we decided to take a room at a hotel until we could get located and knew what we are going to do.  So we are at the New Grand, $2.00 a day for room and bath.  Charley Brown and I are going to dissolve partnership, he to go to Chicago with Charles Redd of Bluff and sell Navajos.  So tomorrows we will have a settlement.  He and Wilford have done next to nothing all month here in Salt Lake.  Florence and baby have been down to Grandma Ridges for a couple of hours.”  Next day wife Florence moved down to her mothers’.

SALES: The day after father arrived in Salt Lake, he sold $56.50 worth of rugs, and the next day $35.00.  He wrote: “This enables me to square up our old Hotel Utah debt, and my bank account.”

MEMORIES: Salt Lake City, June 26th, 1912:  Father visited the old Dean homestead on [unreadable] Street and found the place in a dilapidated condition, and the renters had skipped without paying their rent.  He and wife Florence also visited Mill Creek where “…Florence and I took a walk from Williams’ down to our old Mill Creek house that I built with my own hands and in which Lawrence and Charley were born.  The place has so changed and grown up with trees that we walked a quarter of a mile too far south, but finally found it.”  And on June 27th: “Florence, Beatrice, Wilford and I have all been to Salt Air this morning but I was only bored.  Nothing but the music attracted me.”

DENTAL WORK: “Salt Lake, June 27th: Florence is having $50.00 worth of dental work at Browning’s for which he is going to take Navajo blankets.  She chose that as against going with me to Logan and Idaho Falls.”

SALES:  Father wrote on June 29th: “Have sold altogether nearly $200.00 in cash since I arrived in Salt Lake, and $50.00 to Dr. Browning on Florence’s teeth, and $35.00 to First Mail Order House.”

OGDEN: June 30th, 1912: This date found father in Ogden with wife Florence and baby Dorothy.  They stayed temporarily at the Reid Hotel, but later Florence and bath went to relatives, her brother W. O. Ridges, and Aunt Eva Woods, while father tried to sell rugs.

IRMA BROWNING: Ogden, July 3rd: “Irma Browning, Jasper’s girl, came at 2:30 and took Florence and baby to their home.  At 5:40 she came in the beautiful automobile with her father as chauffer, and took us for a 24-mile ride up through Ogden Canyon to Huntsville and back.  We made the trip in 2 hours.  We took supper with them and spent the evening there, getting back at 10 pm.  They took a $15.00 rug off me, one that Irma picked out.”

SALES: Ogden, July 4th – “I came back with $111.00.  My profits in Ogden for the three days I have been here is $65.00.  That is pretty good.  I sent the Graden Mercantile Company of Durango $60.00 and Albert & Company in Fruitland, $150.00.”

WILFORD: July 4th, Ogden – “Got word from Wilford that he had sold $70.00 worth of rugs.  Also that the 520 pounds of blankets sent by freight had arrived.  I sent him word to send one bale to Logan and one to Idaho Falls.”

NEWS FROM HOME AND JASPER:  July 5th, Ogden: “Got word from home (Redmesa) up to June 5th that all were well.  Also got a letter from Jasper.”  Note 1972 – Jasper was on a mission to the Northern States.  Father seldom mentions him in any way.  Who is financing his mission?

LOGAN SALES: July 6th 1912 –  This date found father in Logan, but before leaving Ogden he had fine success in his sales: “Made the following slaes before leaving Odgen today.”  They amounted to $148.00 on which father’s profits were $73.00.  Father wrote: “That is going [unreadable].  That makes something like $800.00.  I feel greatly blessed and much encouraged.”  On reaching Logan, they put up at the Eagle Hotel.  Lon Haddock, another relative, was in the station to meet them.  Hotel cost $1.50 per day for a room.  Florence and Dorothy went to her sister, Renay Haddock’s, while in Logan.  The profit from sales in Logan were for the four rugs $45.00, less expense of $16.00, net $29.00 or $7.25 per day.

IDAHO SALES:  July 11th, 1912 – They left Logan at 4 pm and arrived at Idaho Falls at 1 am.  Jack Pike (wife Florence’s brother-in-law) was at the station to meet them and took them to his “beautiful home where I suppose we will make our headquarters.”

CHARLEY AND LUCY DINWOODEY:  Idaho Falls, July 11th, 1912 — While in Idaho Falls, father, wife Florence, and baby Dorothy divided their time between the Jack Pikes, Florence’s sisters, and the Dinwoodeys, father’s daughter.  Lucy’s husband Charley was in the undertaking business.  Father was very favorably impressed with a male quartet composed of Charley Dinwooey, Jack Pike, Joe Morely, and William Charlesworth.  At a musical, the quarter sang five numbers, and Clarabel Pike sang three and father wrote: “It was all high grade.”  Father displayed his Navajo rugs in the Idaho Falls Music Company store on Shoupe Avenue.

NEWS FROM HOME – H. M. TAYLOR: Father had received several letters from Redmesa saying that all was well there.  Louise wrote on July 10th that the boys had gotten up all the hay, about 50 tons, and had hired five men to help with it.  Louise also wrote that H. M. Taylor had gone to Chicago with Charley Brown to sell Navajo rugs, which father wrote: “It was quite a surprise.”

JASPER DEAN, CHARLEY BROWN:  On July 17th, Wilford wrote from Salt Lake saying that Charley Brown had written him from Chicago that Jasper was to be put in President of the Indianan Conference.  Wilford also wrote that “Neither Charley Brown, Redd, or H. M. Taylor had sold a rug in Chicago and that Redd and Taylor had returned in disgust. I feel sorry for Hiram.  This will put him another $100.00 in debt.”

JASPER DEAN:  Idaho Falls, July 18th — “Got a letter from Jasper today that he has been appointed President of Indiana Conference and that he is $100.00 behind at the mission office.  So I suppose I will have to send him some money.”

THINGS CONTAGIOUS: Idaho Falls, July 20th — “Got a letter from Sally in Redmesa that Jim Slade and Ben Steele had started out selling Navajos also, and were headed for Idaho.  If they succeed, I miss my guess.”

CHARLEY DINWOODEY: Idaho Falls, Sunday July 21st — “He occupied all the time in sacrament meeting preaching to some outsiders who were present.  And my ideas in Parents Class this morning seemed to be much appreciated.”  And: “The male quartet was at Pike’s this evening and sang beautifully for us.”

WIFE FLORENCE BACK TO REDMESA: While in Idaho Falls it was decided that Florence and baby Dorothy would return to Salt Lake and then home to Redmesa.  Father wrote on July 23rd: “I hat to see them go and will feel rather lonesome and blue.  We have had a pleasant five weeks together since leaving home.”

LUCY DINWOODEY: July 23rd — “I moved over to Lucy’s this morning from Pikes, now that Florence has gone.  Clarabel seemed to be disappointed that I don’t stay over there.”

CUT PRICES: Idaho Falls, July 24th, 1912 — Father’s sales in Idaho Falls were quite a disappointment, so to encourage sales: “I am going to cut my prices 20% tomorrow and phone everybody I have visited and see if that will move them.”  The reduction did bring in a few more sales.  Father put this ad in the local paper: “MR. JOSEPH H. DEAN, THE NAVAJO RUG MAN LEAVES FOR BLACKFOOT THURSDAY, AUGUST 1ST.  IN THE MEANTIME HE IS GIVING THE IDAHO FALLS PEOPLE A REDUCTION OF 20%.  THIS PUTS THE GENUINE HAND MADE NAVAJO ABOUT AS CHEAP AS THE OTHER COTTON MACHINE MADE COSTS.  A GOOD MANY OF OUR TOWNSPEOPLE ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THESE PRICES.  OPPOSITE HENRY FURNITURE COMPANY. “

COMPETITION: Idaho Falls, August 1st: Hiram Martin Taylor writes that he is in Pocatello with Navajo blankets, and intends to work up in this part of the country.  Now if James Slade and Ben Steele and Wilford also get up this way it should fix Idaho.  This will change my program as I had intended working Pocatello and then going on to Boise.”

SALES: Idaho Falls, August 3rd, 1912 – Sales had been very dead and father was discouraged, but on this date he sold six rugs at a profit of $161.00.

NEWS FROM HOME: Idaho Falls, August 3rd, 1912 – “Got letters from Sally, Florence, and Wilford.”  Sally says: “They have had nice rains and that grain and the second cutting of alfalfa is safe.  Also that Donald had ten spasms the week we left Redmesa, but they kept it from us so as not to spoil Florence’s trip.”

ON THE MOVE: August 4th found father in Blackfoot, bedded down at “The Cottage” for $1.75 a day for bed and board.  Sales for the first ten days were very good, with a profit of $56.00 and father was encouraged.  He said, “My, how blessed I am.”

M. TAYLOR – CHARLES DINWOODEY: Blackfoot, August 11th, 1912 – H. M. Taylor came to Blackfoot and spent Sunday with father and they enjoyed the day together. Also, “Lucy and Charley Dinwoodey, Joe Morley and Billy Charlesworth, members of the Idaho Falls male quartet, came down on the noon train. Charley came by invitation to speak, the others for and out and to sing.  There was a splendid congregation.  The quartet sang four numbers, and Charley spoke 35 minutes.  Brother Taylor went back on the 7:00 o’clock train to Pocatello, and the Idaho Falls folks went back on the 8:40 train.  Brother Taylor is doing pretty well with the Navajos, having sold out all of his rugs.

MOVING AGAIN: Father stayed in Blackfoot until August 15th, having had good success, before moving on to Rexburg and St. Anthony.

WIFE SALLY: Father took a notion to have wife Sally come up from Redmesa and visit with daughter Lucy Dinwoodey in Idaho Falls while he was selling in that territory.  Sent her $45.00.

NEWS FROM REDMESA: Lawrence had been offered a job teaching ‘Floyd’ in Mancos High School.  He was 20 years old at the time.  James Slade and Ben Steel had returned to Redmesa penniless after trying to sell Navajo rugs.  Wife Florence had arrived home with Dorothy from her visit to Utah with father.  Donald did not know her, but he did know Dorothy.  H. M. Taylor was doing well in Pocatello, having averaged $10.00 a day.

WILFORD DEAN: Arrived in Blackfoot on August 19th, 1912 to continue selling of rugs in neighboring towns, and to visit with Lucy and Charley Dinwoodey in Idaho Falls.

NOTE 1972: Wilford was put in as second counselor at the organization of the Redmesa Ward bishopric, to Leo S. Taylor.  He was ordained a High Priest by Apostle F. M. Lyman in Salt Lake shortly after the organization of the ward.  He was supposed to have returned to Redmesa and be on the farm and assume his responsibilities in the Church.  Did he ever return to Redmesa?  H.A.D.

ANTHONY AND REXBURG: August 25th, 1912 – This date found father in St. Anthony and Wilford in Rexburg. In Rexburg, Wilford sold rugs in the amount of $285.00 which had cost him $260.00. Father said, “He made some mistake in figuring.”  Wilford moved on from Rexburg to Ashton.  Father met very little success in St. Anthony, so he returned to Idaho Falls until September 6th, when he moved on to Butte, Montana.

JASPER DEAN: St. Anthony, August 25th, 1912 – While in St. Anthony, father received a letter from Jasper in the mission field: “He is $110.00 overdrawn in the mission office and he feels pretty blue about it.  I sent him $50.00 and will try and get him squared up pretty soon.  It seems life Wilford is not going to be able to keep him.”

FINANCES: August 26th, 1912: “I also sent off $262.00 for the note at First National Bank which falls due soon.  Thank the Lord that is paid after drawing $25.00 a year interest for three years.  I am now about broke, having sent off $565.00 in two days.”

NEWS FROM REDMESA, WIFE SALLY: Idaho Falls, August 30th, 1912:  “I sent Sally $45.00 two weeks ago to come to Idaho Falls and visit Lucy while I was here.  She wrote me today that she is not coming up until October and maybe not until the holidays as fruit-getting time is on and her children are not large enough to market yet.  Clifford is in bad shape with hot fever or asthma and when she comes up she wants to bring him and consult a doctor.  Florence, Lawrence, Charley, Stella, and Clifford and Harry had gone to Kirtland to conference.”

FINANCES: September 1st, 1912 – “Got letter from Wilford in Ashton saying he is doing well and expects more sales.  In looking over my account book, I see that I have made $414.00 for the month of August less expenses of about $40.00.”

THE DINWOODEYS: On returning to Idaho Falls from St. Anthony, father was given a room at Pikes, as Grandpa and Grandma Dinwoodey were visiting at Charley’s and Lucy’s.  On September 5th father wrote: “Dean, Clinton, Claribel, Lucile, Marian, and Allen have been to the picture show with me tonight.”

CHARLEY DEAN: Idaho Falls, September 5th, 1912 – “Got a letter from Charley at Redmesa demanding $35.00 for the purpose of entering some land west of the La Plata.  I am perfectly willing and wish Jasper and Wilford were home to take up some also.”

WILFORD DEAN: Same date – “Got letter from Wilford today.  He is favorably impressed with the idea of going home to enter some land west of the La Plata.  I sent the following telegram to Charley: ‘Is there any land left worth my coming home to enter?  If so, telegraph me here care of C. E. Dinwoodey and write particulars.  Salt Lake City, Care of 702 North 2nd West Street.’  Can you have description of land and witnesses in Durango to meet me?”  Signed, Wilford.  “I have written Wilford in Ashton advising him to go to Durango if telegram is favorable.”

ON TO BUTTE, MONTANA: September 6th – Father arrived in Butte from Idaho Falls.  He ran on to two former missionary companions in the Island, George Stringham and David Cluff.  He also made the acquaintance of several missionaries in the Butte District.  Father wrote: “My overdraft at the bank is paid and most of my debts and I have $70.00 in my pockets so I am not at all in desperate straights, and can spend a couple of days feeling my way around here.”

AND ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6th: “Have been to evening meeting and did all the preaching, speaking 45 minutes.  Felt well and interested the people.”

FINANCES, WILFORD, TITHING:  Butte, September 9th, 1912 – “I am aggravated at the content of a letter from Wilford.  He sold ten rugs in Ashton which cost $111.00.  All he has paid me of that amount is $40.00, leaving $71.00 due.  And he is talking of keeping that to go home with, or if the telegram from Charley regarding taking up land west of the La Plata is unfavorable, he wants to go to Salt Lake and see his girl (Arlene McMurrin).  That is about $100.00 he is behind on paying for the rugs he sold.”  Also, “I opened up an account at the State Savings Bank here in Butte this morning, depositing $96.00, then sent off $20.00 for tithing.”

HELP PLEASE – AMANDA ANDERSON:  Butte, September 11th, 1912 – “Was surprised at getting a letter from Sister Anderson today, as I thought she had stopped writing.  She is hard up for money and wants me to help her if I can.  I sent her $50.00 and promised her that every month if possible.”  [Well, you married her, dad.  HAD]

JASPER ON MISSION – WILFORD – FINANCES:  “Letter from Jasper.  He is ‘making good’ as conference president.  Raised the sale of copies of the Book of Mormon about 200% over that of his predecessor, and spoke 45 minutes at a meeting last week.  As Wilford has gone home (Redmesa), I suppose, I will have to keep Jasper from now on and Wilford is about $100.00 in my debt also and so it goes.”

NOTE 1972: It seems from a few of father’s notations, that Wilford had been financing Jasper in the mission field.  HAD.

NEWS FROM HOME: September 19th, 1912 – “Letter from Lawrence says they have four large stacks of grain, and expect more than we ever had before, and everything is well at home”.

HARRY DEAN THE COMPOSER – FATHER’S GOOD JUDGEMENT:  “A letter from Sally today (September 21, 1912) tells me that Harry is composing tunes and is much interested in it, and wrote him a letter this morning encouraging him in it and sent him $35.00 to come to Salt Lake with and spend the winter studying music.  I feel that it will pay and that he should be encouraged.”   NOTE: Harry did come to Salt Lake in a wide-brimmed hat and all his girl cousins, the Arnolds and Riches, laughed at him in it.  Arrangements were made for him to study violin and piano with a Dr. Stayner, and attend the old L.D.S. University and take lessons from Oscar W. Kirkham, of the faculty.  Harry was ____ vocal _____ to eat at the Mission Cafeteria at 300 South and Main and sleep in the Templeton Building for which he swept the halls of the building each night and helped run the elevator.  The Mission Cafeteria and his teachers took Navajo rugs for pay which father arranged for.  Harry also walked around the city collecting bad debts for Beesley Music Company for a certain percent of the collections.  Father got him that job though his former missionary companion, Fred Beesley.  Harry did not finish the school year, but was taken out of his studies in the early spring to return to the Mesa and help with the work on the farm.  One later, on January 3rd, 1914, Harry was to leave for his mission to the Samoan Islands.  Harry’s brother, Charley, tells just why Harry was chosen to go on his mission rather than one of the other boys:  Jasper had filled his mission and Wilford was contemplating or had already married Arlene McMurrin, Lawrence and Charley had taken up land west of the La Plata, and were also deeply in love, and Clifford was too young and was suffering from hay fever or asthma.  It fell to Harry’s lot to go on the mission.  One of Harry’s remembrances of his work at the L.D.S. University was one Alexander Schreiner, who had just come over from Germany.  Each day he would be at the piano in the assembly room at noon or between classes, surrounded by a vey of girls.  He finally settled on the daughter of Apostle Richard R. Lyman, who played the cello.  There is an indented section on this page, page 407, that is essentially unreadable on the copy that I am transcribing from.  The section ends with these words: “Because of these two factors, Harry’s father thought he could not and suggested that he return to Redmesa unless he could pay his own way.”

M. TAYLOR: Butte, September 21st, 1912 – “Got a letter from H. M. Taylor in Pocatello. He hasn’t been doing very well of late. He is going to Salt Lake to conference and has sent for his wife to come up and meet him.”

WILFORD SECURES LAND: Butte, September 23rd, 1912 – Wilford had returned to Colorado to investigate the possibility of filing on land west of the La Plata.  On this date, father wrote: “Got letter from Wilford.  He has secured 160 acres of land.  He talks like he is coming out again to sell Navajos.”

TEMPTATION: Butte, September 24 – Father received another letter from Hiram Martin Taylor, tempting him to leave on the midnight train Saturday and join him in Slat Lake City at conference.

SEPTEMER 26th: “I have received word from the County Commissioners of the National Irrigation Congress at Salt Lake.  September 30th to October 3rd.  That and the fair and conference all in one week will be quite profitable, and I think I will be able to sell some rugs.  I’ll leave the bulk of my 1000 pounds here and come back after conference.”

A PROFITABLE DAY: Butte, September 27th – Father’s sales for this day amounted to enough to give him a profit of $48.00.  “I have now $225.000 in the bank, besides $300.00 owing me including the $164.00 Wilford still owes me.  I think I shall sell quite a few again tomorrow.”  But on the morrow, he did not sell any.

SALT LAKE CITY: Sunday, September 29th – On the way from Butte to Salt Lake City, Charley and Lucy Dinwoodey were at the station in Idaho Falls to meet him.  And at Pocatello, H. M. Taylor boarded the train which arrived in Salt Lake two hours late, and father went to Polly Howe’s for the night.  On arriving there he was much surprised to find that wife Sally and son Harry had arrived from Redmesa.  Father rented a room in the Templeton Building to display his rugs in while in the city, at $5.00 a week.

HARRY DEAN: Salt Lake City, October 1st, 1912 — It was decided that Harry remain in Salt Lake and study harmony and violin with Professor Stayner.  Father wrote: “Have spent the day running around with Harry talking with musicians and buying him a hat, shirts, sox, collars, violin strings and a $6.50 violin case.”  (Harry had been using a flour sack).  As stated on the previous page, father arranged to eat at the Mission Cafeteria for which he turned in rugs.  He wrote: “We ate at the Mission Cafeteria with Hyrum and wife Clara and Loren, and Elmer Taylor and wife, and Harry.  Cost me $5.00, but as I pay in Navajo rugs, only about $1.25.

OCTOBER 2nd, 1912: “Spent an hour this morning talking about Harry’s musical training.  He will charge $1.25 for one hour lesson and give four lessons a week.  He claims to have an entirely new method of teaching harmony which he says is easily worth $100.00.  I believe Harry has gotten into the right hands.  I took Harry to an organ recital in the tabernacle, and the kid was carried away, it being the first high class music he had ever heard.  Later in the day I took Harry to the L.D.S. University and decided that he take a few studies in connection with music.  This evening we attended the grand ball in the Hotel Utah given free to the members of the Irrigation Conference.  Harry danced seven times and is of course delighted with what he saw.  I also took Sally and Sister Anderson with me to the grand ball.  We got home at midnight.”

THE CANADIAN TEMPLE: At the Priesthood meeting of the conference on October 4th, 1912, it was voted to build a temple in Canada for the benefit of the people there.

HARRY THE JANITOR:  Salt Lake City, October 7th, 1912:  Father wrote -“Have got Harry a job as janitor, or assistant janitor in the Temple Building in exchange for a nice room there.  It will make a nice headquarters for us and a GOOD PLACE FOR HIM TO SELL NAVAJOS.  Harry started in tonight and it took him 1 hour 30 minutes to do his daily stunt sweeping five halls.

NOTE 1972:  This is not a history of Harry’s life, but in as much as my children will be reading these condensations, I might be pardoned for mentioning Harry Dean.  (H.A.D.)

LEO S. TAYLOR, IN LOVE: Salt Lake City, October 8th, 1912 – “Hyrum Taylor told me today that Leo had made up his mind to get married within the year, and that he wanted Stella if he can get her and wanted to know if I had any objections to his trying to get her.  I said no, but I objected to Stella getting married before she was 18 any way.”

CHARLEY AND LUCY DINWOODEY: Father and wife Sally arrived in Idaho Falls on October 10th to visit with daughter Lucy and Charley, who with their boys, Dean and Clinton, met them at the depot.  Next day father wrote: “Have spent the day dong nothing and so feel restless and nervous.  I can’t stand loafing.”  And next day: “Have spent the day loafing again and have been so tired of it I made up my mind to leave for Butte tonight but let the folks talk me out of it.”

BACK TO BUTTE: October 14th found father back in Butte.  Sales were very discouraging, and looking ahead in the journal, I find that father remained in Butte until November when he went to Dillon.  So he must have done better for a while.

WILFORD DEAN RESUMES SELLING: Butte, October 25th, 1912 – Father wrote: “Got letter from Wilford in Redmesa saying that he had picked out a supply of blankets at Algerts, and Jesse the manager had promised him he could have them on his own account and then after Wilford had returned home, Fouts sent him a letter cancelling it and telling him that he would have to work with me.  Wilford was greatly disappointed and has written to see if I would furnish him blankets.  I have written to him that I will, notwithstanding he hasn’t done the right thing by me in the past.  I have made it conditional that he keeps away from Salt Lake as he has demonstrated that he can’t save anything there.”  A later letter from Wilford at Redmesa said they had threshed their grain and only got 594 ______ which was quite discouraging to father.

CHARLEY DEAN: The above letter from Wilford gave the news that Charley had started to ______ at Ft. Lewis and to save expense he was doing his own cooking.

SALES: In Butte were quite discouraging — a dribble here and there and father got down ____ in his pocket which he worried about in case of an emergency.

MISCELLANEOUS: Butte, November 4th, 1912: “Have been blessed with two sales today on which I made [unreadable].  I sent Jasper $20.00 and Leo Taylor $30.00 for tithing and tonight have written [unreadable] a letter and sent her $2.00 for a birthday present as she will be 16 on the [unreadable] I think it is.  I got letters from Sally, Florence and Sister Anderson (all three) and H. M. Taylor.  All told Brother Taylor had only sold six rugs since he went to Boise three weeks ago.  I have been blue because I have only sold 14.  And he has his wife and kiddie to keep.  Now his [unreadable] has come out to sell Navajos.  Brother Taylor was going to pull out of Boise in another week and go to Portland or Spokane.  Wilford had borrowed $150.00 at Bauer Bank in Mancos and sent a good sum to Jasper although I don’t know how much.”

POOR SALESMAN:  “Got letter from Harry tonight in Salt Lake.  All is well with him but he didn’t sell any Navajos and he wants me to send him money like all the rest.”

SALES: Butte, November 6th, 1912: “In looking over my accounts, I see that I have made $443.00 profit for the six weeks I have spent here in Butte.  And notwithstanding all my worry I continue to make good wages, and have $110.00 on hand again.”

MISCELLANEOUS: After poor sales in Dillon, Father returned to Blackfoot and did very well again there as he had done previously.

WILFORD:  Wilford had come to Salt Lake and rented a room in the Templeton to display his rugs and on November 24th father wrote: “Letter from Harry states that Wilford has sold two rugs for $30.00, so I suppose he will spend the winter fooling around in Salt Lake again.”  On November 26th, Father wrote: “Wilford sent me $43.00 on account and will remain in Templeton Building for the winter.”

Click here to return to the Family History index