Difficult Questions — ‘All Truth’ vs. continuing revelation and prophets
1/ Question: If Christ gave ‘ALL TRUTH’ to his apostles (as stated in John 16:13), why would there be a need for continuing revelation and/or prophets in our time?
- John 16:13 states, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into ALL TRUTH: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” Christ did give ‘all truth’ to His apostles during His ministry, but did the apostles give ‘all truth’ to mankind?
- Matthew 10:1-5 tells us that Jesus “…called unto him twelve disciples, and he gave them power…”. These verses also state: “These twelve Jesus sent forth…”. Jesus did choose these twelve apostles, sent them forth, and must have taught them what they should preach.
- In Matthew 10:8, Jesus says to His disciples: “…freely ye have received, freely give.” The apostles had freely received (of His power and His teachings) and they were to freely give.
- From Acts 2:1-4 we learn that the apostles were of “…one accord…”, that “…they were all filled with the Holy Ghost…”, and that “…the Spirit gave them utterance.” It seems evident that they were being guided “…into all truth:”.
- From Acts 8:13-20 we learn that the apostles performed “…miracles and signs…” among believers, that they helped believers “…receive the word of God…”, and that “…through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given..” The apostles were actively sharing truth with believers and converts.
- John 16:13 (B1356) Response: “All truth” was given only to the apostles and we have the writings of only 5 out of the 16 early apostles.
- Matthew 13:11 (B1209) Response: The apostles knew all the mysteries, but the believers and non-believers did not.
- Revelations 1:1-3 (B1565) Response: John’s revelation was written in 96 A.D. Did the other apostles know of “all things” that John saw and wrote about?
- 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (B1471) Response: Did Paul know something that was not written in the Bible?
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (B1515) Question: This verse states that “all scripture” had been given, so how can you claim there was more to come?
- 2 Timothy 3:15 (B1515) Response: These verses were apparently meant specifically for Timothy, John’s Revelation had not even been received, and the scriptures available to Timothy were those found in the Old Testament.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 (B1515) Response: See the JST notation in the footnotes!
- D&C 17:6 (D27) Definitive answer: The Savior bears His testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
Click here to return to the Difficult Questions index