Astronomy — The Planet Uranus
- Distance from the Sun: 1,782,000,000 miles
- Time for one solar circuit, in Earth years: 84 years
- Time for one axial rotation, in Earth hours: 11 hours
- Diameter: 30,000 miles
- Atmosphere: H2 and CH4
- Surface temperature: -300 degrees Fahrenheit
- Moons: 5 major moons, 10 or more minor moons
- Oberon, Titania, Umbriel, Ariel, Miranda
- This planet rotates on its ‘side’, axis 98 degrees. This is probably due to a collision with a very large planet-sized object late in its formation.
- Uranus has a very faint system of rings, 100 to 1000 times more substantial than Jupiter’s ring, but they contain less mass than the thin material of Saturn’s Cassini division. Also, the material is coal-black. There are 11 very narrow rings, shepherded by small moons.
Click here to return to the Astronomy index page