Elder Joshua Reuben Clark, Jr.
Information regarding J. Reuben Clark, Jr.
- Apostle number: 64
- Quorum of the Twelve number: 57
- Date of birth: September 1, 1871
- Place of birth: Grantsville, Tooele County, Utah
- Date of apostolic ordination: October 11, 1934
- Age when ordained apostle: 63 years 1 month
- End of apostolic service: October 6, 1961
- Total apostolic years: 26 years 11 months
- Date called into the Quorum of the Twelve: October 11, 1934
- Tenure in the Quorum of the Twelve: 2 weeks (during which time the First Presidency was being reorganized)
- Date of death: October 6, 1961
- Age at death: 90 years 1 month
- Place of death: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah
- Remarks: President Clark only served 2 weeks in the Quorum of the Twelve (during which time the First Presidency was being reconstituted). He served over 26 years in the First Presidency. He served as United States Undersecretary of State in 1928 and 1929, as United States Ambassador to Mexico (1930 to 1933). Both the J. Reuben Clark Law Society and the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University are named in his honor. He served as First Counselor in the First Presidency twice, and as Second Counselor in the First Presidency twice.
- Inspirational quotes: ““Interest never sleeps nor sickens nor dies; it never goes to the hospital; it works on Sundays and holidays; it never takes a vacation.” “If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed.”
Click here to return to the Apostle information menu