Joseph Smith, Jr.
Information regarding Joseph Smith, Jr.
- Date of birth: December 23, 1805
- Place of birth: Sharon, Windsor County, Vermont
- Apostolic ordination: May 1, 1829
- Age when ordained apostle: 23 years 4 months
- Total apostolic years: 15 years 1 month
- Tenure in the Quorum of the Twelve: did not serve in the Quorum
- Called as President of the Church: April 6, 1830
- Age when called as President: 24 years 3 months
- Tenure as President of the Church: 14 years 2 months
- Date of death: June 27, 1844
- Age at death: 38 years 6 months
- Place of death: Carthage, Hancock County, Illinois
- Remarks: Joseph was martyred in the Carthage Jail in Carthage, Illinois. His brother, Hyrum Smith, was martyred on the same day. “Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it.” (Doctrine and Covenants 135:3)
- Inspirational quote: “No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done” (History of the Church, 4:540).
Click here to return to the Apostle information menu